PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I recently bought a Full bent though it was listed as new and unsmoked and I got a good deal there is some ever-so-slight scuffing on the stem.
What is the best way to polish/buff this out?
I don't want to ruin something that is bearly noticeable by calling attention to it while trying to fix it ...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I use a buffing compound from Decatur that I got as a sample with all of there pipe maintenance products. I must say it works great to get small light scuff and oxidation off but for anything deeper then that it would need some type of abrasive to blend it in. Even a mr clean magic eraser is a bit abrasive that might work without actually removing too much material at once. Some pics would give us a better idea of how far you will have to go

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The upside is it's a Ser Jacopo which means the stem is Lucite / Acrylic, so IF you do chose to carefully and gently try and remove some miniscule marks, you won't need loads of elbow work, or a buffing wheel, to restore the sheen. If Ebonite / Vulcanite / Brindle you will need extra time or a buffing wheel.

That being said, unless the marks are deep, just leave it alone. After a few bowls you'll probably be adding to the marks anyway.

Mike

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If Ebonite / Vulcanite / Brindle you will need extra time or a buffing wheel.
That is one way, but power tools and sandpaper aren't necessary to remove oxidation or shine it up.

20221008_010444-jpg.177243

20221025_150558-jpg.177249

Last edited: