PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Greetings! I have dozens of cobs and appreciate each one as it's own unique pipe. I have several nice briars in my collection but always return to cobs and smoke them exclusively on my daily hour+ commutes.

My favorite cobs have some pretty deep cracks at this point. They don't seem to be getting worse and they all still hold a seal, so it doesn't seem they have cracked the whole way though...

With that in mind, is it inevitable that these cobs will burn out or is the cracking/expanding just part of the natural life cycle of a cob? Many of these are getting close to two years old, from my early days of piping when I would always end up with a hot pipe ...my newer pipes reflect a bit more experience and seem to chip/crack at a much slower rate.

I guess it doesn't matter as they are all "cheap" pipes...but the cracked ones are just so well broken in, they always give me a great smoke.

Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs don't last like briar, and I know that from watching my dad in his continual all-day Granger smoking. But I've never had one crack, so I can't tell you much more. I consider them more-or-less permanent pipes, but I have enough cobs so that if one cracked beyond smoking, I'd pick up another. I buy the series with acrylic stems, figuring most will be around for some time to come. When they crack, I'd guess you have about fifty bowls to go in that pipe.

Reactions: kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Cobs don't last like briar, and I know that from watching my dad in his continual all-day Granger smoking. But I've never had one crack, so I can't tell you much more. I consider them more-or-less permanent pipes, but I have enough cobs so that if one cracked beyond smoking, I'd pick up another. I buy the series with acrylic stems, figuring most will be around for some time to come. When they crack, I'd guess you have about fifty bowls to go in that pipe.

Thanks for your thoughts --I am glad that I have a good supply of them, for sure. I have wanted to get a forever stem for quite some time, too. Fifty bowls is a good marker in my opinion too, gives you plenty of time yet sets a reasonable timeline :)

Reactions: BROBS

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I know fishnbanjo used to mud them up and make them last longer. I'm sure someone here can point you toward that thread, or you may be able to find it on your own. Or, you know, you could just buy another one for $5.

I would definitely be up for reading that! And, I am in luck because I get legends for, iirc, $2.85 ...I just like the older ones because they are so broken in and smoke so well. I think I have 3-4 unsmoked cobs on the shelf just waiting for their call to duty ...for now tho, I will keep choochin' on these cracked ones! :)

Reactions: chopper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would definitely be up for reading that! And, I am in luck because I get legends for, iirc, $2.85 ...I just like the older ones because they are so broken in and smoke so well. I think I have 3-4 unsmoked cobs on the shelf just waiting for their call to duty ...for now tho, I will keep choochin' on these cracked ones! :)
Although I'm not sure this is the one I was looking for (I seem to remember more detail) you can find fishnbanjos cob repair and maintenance methods in this thread. The repair post is on page 3 I think:

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Although I'm not sure this is the one I was looking for (I seem to remember more detail) you can find fishnbanjos cob repair and maintenance methods in this thread. The repair post is on page 3 I think:

Thanks man!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the cobs are plant material, I think they vary a lot in how long they last. The cobs used by MM are bred and grown for the purpose, so most last a long time. I think fish'n'banjo had some that went back to the fifties, maybe the thirties, that were smoked regularly and were doing fine.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yes. Breaking in a new cob is not something I enjoy - that vegetal taste for a couple of bowls and burning off the protruding stem. It's worth it though.
Once they've got a thin hard layer of cake they're as good a smoker as any briar.

One of my MM cobs is developing a few cracks.
Has anyone tried using PVA glue to fill cracks in a cob?

I'm waiting for MM to get a Cobbit back in stock before I also order a few more cob pipes. I'm hoping that with a few more in my rotation, the 'old faithfuls' don't deteriorate as fast with more rest between bowls [?]