PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2020
Telford, UK
www.youtube.com
I volunteer at a living museum set in the year 1900 so quite often dig out old film on YouTube as it's both fascinating and useful. Here is a good example and there are plenty of pipe smokers to spot, far more common in those days.

Eerie to think though that every living soul in that film is long gone - but I bet some of the pipes are still around somewhere. Also interesting to see the people's reaction to the camera - in a working Northern town it was likely the first one they had ever seen.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Very interesting, thanks for posting!
Sequences like this is the closest we'll ever get to time travels and therefore very valuable.

Reactions: Slacey

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I love videos like this. Great post!

edit: I just realized I was already subscribed to this channel. I've seen quite a few of his videos.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I especially like how dapper the fella at 4:37 is. Looks like he is quite happy. As for the pipe smokers, I know a lot of people smoke to keep their appetites in check, probably used to keep hunger pains at bay.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My oldest pipe is a 1899 BBB own Make so this video is roughly from the time it was made. Interesting to imagine it being used back then.

Reactions: Slacey and Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks for posting. It was a relaxing watch. Excellent moustaches back in 1902.

Now I'll have to watch more videos from this account. Thanks for ruining my productivity today.

Reactions: Slacey and Casual

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Eerie to think though that every living soul in that film is long gone

Before invading Greece in 480 BC Xerxes staged a review of his fantastically immense army and navy (contemporary sources pegged the number in the millions; modern scholars at a few hundred thousand). As Xerxes observed the men gathered on the plain below him he wept. When his uncle Artabanus asked him why, Xerxes replied:

It came into my mind how pitifully short human life is --- for of all these thousands of men not one will be alive in a hundred years' time.

Last edited:

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
This was very peaceful to watch. It's just amazing seeing a time where the town is just alive with people outside enjoying themselves with very little. A time before America was plagued with fast food, diabetes, obesity, and everyone having to worry about their children's safety. I love watching ww2 documentaries and probably have watched close to all of them lol but this was very relaxing, thanks.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Wasn't expecting the two chaps to take off their coats and engage in a fist fight (6:53).
Thanks for sharing. That was interesting.
No kidding. At first I thought they were hamming it up for the camera but aside from not being very good at landing punches, it looked like they were really fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.