Life After McClelland.. Any Suggestions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
I was always overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of tobaccos to choose from. I found McClelland. Tried a few other things and just decided that I didn't need to bother looking any further.
And I go online to order more tobacco and find they are no more.... So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm honestly pretty ignorant about what's out there.
My go-to's were Navy Cavendish and Blackwood's flake. I also really liked their "fragrant matured Virginia's".
Does anyone have any ideas about tobaccos that are similar to those?
(I also loved their English tobaccos... But I don't feel I'm at a loss for finding other good English tobaccos.)
I also really love Lane BCA but they're still around. But that's just to give a picture of what I like.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
That's what Ive been reading... They were truly unique.
What if I narrow it down.... Are there any standouts in Virginia department? Not necessarily just like McClelland... But anything near that level when it comes to Virginia's?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are there any standouts in Virginia department? Not necessarily just like McClelland... But anything near that level when it comes to Virginia's?
GL Pease - Union Square, Telegraph Hill

HU - Director's Cut, Dockworker, Old Fredders

Gawith - Full Virginia Flake, St James Flake, Full Virginia Plug, Best Brown Flake

Rattray's - Hal O The Wynd

Germain's - Dunbar, Hastings, Dorchester, Cardiff

Astley's - 44

Fribourg & Treyer - Cut Virginia Plug

John Aylesbury - Classic Virginia Flake

Robert Lewis - Wingfield Mixture

Wessex - Campaign Dark Flake, Brigade Classic Virginia
None of these are like McClelland but are fine smokes in their own way.
Some of these are Va/Pers.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
newminster #400 superior navy flake for a quality virginia at bulk prices.

I also second the union square, wessex dark and best brown flake recommended by Sablebrush.
Isaac

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've found Sutliff Red Virginia 515 RC-1 is close to McClelland 5100 Red Cake and makes a good mixer also.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11631/sutliff-tobacco-company-matured-red-virginia-515-rc-1

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
After spending 6 months + trying every VA flake I could get my hands on after McC closed the one that really stood out that I hadn’t tried before was Mac Baren HH Pure VA. It’s not a substitute for McC VA flakes, but it is worthy in its own right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a list of Va,Vaper and Vabur flakes that in my opinion are every bit as good as anything MC put out. All of these are available at the larger on line retailers such as Smokingpipes,tobaccopipes,4noggins,mars.
Capstan Blue and Gold Flake

Escudo

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Solani 633 and 660

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

St Bruno Flake

John Aylesbury Classic Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Tfdickson -thank you ... I was looking at that one. I'm excited to try it now. Thanks!

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Thanks all of you guys... I'm glad to have some recommendations. When you go on "pipesandcigars.com" and search for Virginia's it's hard to know where to start.
I've noticed and have been considering many of the ones that I see mentioned here. Hearing that others like them makes it easier to give them a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not Virginia-centric, but I liked Russ O.'s Fire Storm, PC, if you like a little dark fired with your Va/Per. He also does a series of Acadian (Va/Per) blends. I still have some McClelland blends, a few, so my McC years will go on for a while.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I put away three pound of Union Square when it came out in 2009. I've smoke enough to know that it is a fine quality Virginia. I don't know if the current stuff is the same. I enjoy Hamborger Veermaster as well. Both seem to be available. Most of the Virginias I smoke are very well aged and I am fortunate to have a comfortable supply of most McClelland blends I enjoy. I would add GLP Stratford and Solani 633 for vapers.
Mike S.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Hearth & Home anniversary Kake satisfies my desire for McClellands 2015. Now through 11:59 pm tomorrow, Pipes & Cigars has free shipping on orders $49.00 & over.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
I just bought a buttload of tobacco on that offer.. funny,.. that offer of free shipping got me shopping.... and I bought over $100 of tobacco.. which would be free shipping anyway.
Great marketing on their part, LOL!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I was in your same shoes last year, couldn't find anything to replace my beloved McClelland blends such as Dark Star, Butera's Dark and Golden cakes, Royal Cajun Ebony, Bombay Extra, all the Christmas Cheers, and the wonderful but short-lived 40th.
I tried many different Virginia and VaPer flakes, and while most have been decent if not good, not much was on par to McClelland to my taste. A few notables:
- Wessex curley cut coins - nice sweetness and moderate body

- Esoterica Blackpool and also Kingsbrdige - very similar to Dark Star and Navy flake. I actually like them better than Dark Star, and happen to be enjoying a bowl of Blackpool at this moment.
Lastly, this may not help too much if you're strictly on-line shopping, but I discovered several of the Esoterica virginia blends that I prefer over most of the former McClellands, especially Brighton and Cardiff. Their only downfall is slightly faster and hotter burning than folded flakes. I have yet to try Peacehaven, but that's on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.