Life Affirming Pipe Experience And Is Mixture 79 So Bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
How does it compare to the MacBaren Vanilla? I guess back in the day their was less access to critical reviews so people would stick with that they liked and knew.
Mac Baren Vanilla is enjoyable, both the ribbon cut and the flake. Mix 79 doesn't work for me. The flavor is fine at first then burns off about half way through the bowl. I had to leave the Mixture 79 that I got out on the table for 3 days trying to get it dry enough to burn. You never get that with Mac Baren.

Jan 27, 2020
Mac Baren Vanilla is enjoyable, both the ribbon cut and the flake. Mix 79 doesn't work for me. The flavor is fine at first then burns off about half way through the bowl. I had to leave the Mixture 79 that I got out on the table for 3 days trying to get it dry enough to burn. You never get that with Mac Baren.

I barely dried out my first smoke with the MacBaren Vanilla, very easy going tobacco I agree. I might try the Flake next time though.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Isn’t flake always better? I don’t get the problems some have preparing their flake, I would even say the preparation adds to the enjoyment.
Yes it is IMO.

I enjoy the prep too. It takes a good 30 seconds maybe?

the longest wait is drying it before smoking.

MacBaren flakes are easier than most to prepare as well.

Reactions: rushx9

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
A) This statement is so on point.
B) Your 79 pipe is a beauty!
C) KBV really should mix some oriental and Latakia with 79, press a cake, and name it Innsmouth Bebop. Or B'gnu Thun Zonei... a Lovecraftian spin on Bengal Slices? I'd camp out with the cool kids for that!

See you space cowboy...​
Waiting for C&D to update the blend and call it "The Goat With a Thousand Young" or "Asenath's Delight" or "The Innsmouth Look".