PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Pipe smokers vary in their nic-level preferences. I'm curious, however, if you desire even a slight 'nic hit,' even if you prefer milder tobacco. For my part, I enjoy mild to medium-strength tobacco, as I smoke in order to relax, and a mild nicotine hit certainly helps in that regard. The strong stuff I can certainly do without since it tends to give me nausea. But if the tobacco is too mild, I'm left a little unsatisfied.
You?

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
For me it depends on the time of day. First thing in the morning I am looking for something which is middle of the road. Usually a Vaper. Afternoon something milder and sweeter. At night a burley based flake with a bit of a kick. I also find the weather can sway me. If its raining outside I may go for something stronger earlier in the day.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Yes I need some strength in a blend. I like to have to take a nap after.
Blends like University Flake, Quiet Nights, and Aged Burley Flake are right on the money.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am more a "choose my baccy on the taste" type a person. However, there are some flavorful blends that I like that get a good nic buzz for me. i.e: university flake and Haddos Delight

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I go by taste. I have been smoking cigars a bit lately and those things are kicking my ass, Nic-wise. This just reinforces my dedication to smoking pipes for taste. lol

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I'm a huge Nic lightweight. Makes me shaky even unless I'm real careful about my blood sugar. If I could smoke sans nicotine I probably would. For me there are things like Solani VaPer that are outrageously delicious, but knock me so bad on my buttocks I can't smoke them near as often as I'd like.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I'm a lightweight - even a mild tobacco will knock me for six if I smoke a large bowl, especially if I haven't eaten anything for a while.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
In Dr. Fred Hanna's outstanding new pipe book, he devoted a whole chapter to vitamin "N" and used several scientific studies as references. He states that the overwhelming evidence is that nicotine is great for the body in many ways. As for me, I must be taking the right vitamin because I smoke 3-4 bowls a day of a combination of Murray's era Dunhill Royal Yacht/Five Brothers parfait (two blends loaded with "N") and seem to be in a pretty good mood most of the time (except when my favorite football teams lose).
Best,
Pipestud

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think it's like Goldilocks. Everyone doesn't too little or too much, but what's just right. When I smoke a low nicotine blend, I miss it. If I smoke that bowl of 1792 that was too big on an empty stomach, then I regret it. Beyond that, I generally prefer what most people refer to as medium to med-high on the Nic level but I haven't encountered anything I won't smoke on that basis. Though 1792 and Black Twist XX are reserved for late nights....in a gourd calabash....on a full stomach....with a sweet drink handy.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I was smoking cigars regularly which led me to build up a nicotine tolerance. I then eased off them and didn't smoke anything for a while. After I recently bought my pipe and three different tobacco's to try on recommendation from the members here, one of the three was Dunhill Elizabethan which I found to kick me in the head on first try.
Yesterday I mixed the stronger nicotine tobaccco with a small part of light nicotine stuff and the whole experience was much more enjoyable. I think I would fall into flavour over nicotine in buying choice but when some of the flavour that I enjoy is accompanied with a heavy nicotine content I will try and find a way to enjoy it without my head exploding.
header.gif

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Good info, there, Pipestud. Were you at the Baylor game last night?
Howdy futureman; No sir, I watched it on the TV. I'd sure like to see how Baylor would do if they were able to play their starters for more than just the first half. The Baptists sure got the milk to flowing in Waco after that game last night!
Best,
Pipestud

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I think I have a high tolerance for nicotine. possibly because im adhd and the N levels me out for a short time. while I haven't tried a lot of blends yet, I inhale often and EMP spins my head around after just one or two lungfulls

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't feel I smoke for a nicotine buzz. I'm quite happy with tobacco that gives none. Once or twice in

past years, I've felt a little rocky having smoked an unfamiliar blend too fast. But when I know a blend has

a nic jolt, I can slow down and quite enjoy it. I don't go for sequential bowls of high nic tobacco just for

the buzz. When it comes around in rotation, I smoke it a little slower, and am happy with the low/no nic

tobacco the next time I smoke. Even when I get quite a dose of nicotine, I don't want to nap or go to bed

for the night (unless I have to). I want to get back to stasis before I let the usual natural sleep cycle set in.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Nicotine plays no part in the selection of baccy for me.....unless it's just a crazy strong blend and I want to be careful. I smoke for taste and enjoyment, not buzz or nic addiction.
Though I'll admit, sometimes a later evening smoke that leaves you a bit "relaxed" is quite nice.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I smoke for both taste and Nicotine fix. I don't need a blend to have crazy amounts of nicotine but very mild blends don't do much for me.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I smoke what tastes good, but I do like my Nic. hit.

Just not on an empty stomach, that can get ugly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have my mild, medium and strong nicotine blends that are just part of what I enjoy smoking. I have never bought a blend based on it's nicotine content. I go up the strength ladder throughout the day and never smoke a high nic blend on an empty stomach. It is no fun getting dizzy or nauseous while smoking.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have my mild, medium and strong nicotine blends that are just part of what I enjoy smoking. I have never bought a blend based on it's nicotine content. I go up the strength ladder throughout the day and never smoke a high nic blend on an empty stomach. It is no fun getting dizzy or nauseous while smoking.
Harris
I would call you a wussie, Harris... But have decided to let fear and common sense get it the way.
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.