PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ok, so I'm approaching my half year mark with pipes. It's been an interesting journey so far, I've been working my way through different pipes and different tobacco's trying to figure out what I like.
For pipes, I love the prince shape. I'm not a huge smoker so the relatively shallow bowl of a prince is perfect for 20-30 minute smokes. I like longer pipes as well (150mm), so the prince fits that bill.
In the past few months, I've bought several other shapes, cutty (smokes way too hot), billiard (just can't smoke a whole bowl), dublin (love the shape but they either have a bowl too big or they are too short for my taste), and a brandy (like a large prince, too large in fact)
I found myself not smoking the other pipes or just not liking them at all. So, I dumped them and focused on the prince shape, specifically the sandblasted versions.
So, here's where I'm at so far.
prince1_zpsujkk4eix.jpg

1. Wessex Brown 612. This is a large price, bordering on an apple. Lorenzetti makes them for Wessex and this line has a hand cut cumberland stem. It's a well made pipe and seems to be an exceptional value for $70. The only draw back, no pun intended, is the draw. It's pretty tight for a large pipe and I prefer a wide open draw.
2. Chacom 862. Also rather on the large side for a prince. It's my second favorite pipe. It's well made and smokes well. An exceptional value in the $70 range.
3. Savinelli 313 Giubileo d'Oro. My best and most expensive pipe ($400). I love this pipe. It's so light, it's almost surprising when you pick it up. The only draw back is that it had that stupid 6mm filter thing, which I immediately tossed. I'm not sure if it's related to that or not, but the tenon is not rock solid tight in the mortise. It's not loose but after you smoke it, you can see a tiny gap between the stem and stummel. That's my only complaint about this pipe, and it's not really much of a complaint. I just wish it had the kind of stem work that Dunhill has.
4. Speaking of Dunhill, this is a 3407 Cumberland. Fit and finish and smokability are exactly what you'd expect with a Dunhill. It's probably my best smoking pipe. It's a great pipe but has fallen out of favor somewhat as of late since I've been smoking the larger pipes more often.
5. Here's the runt of the litter, a Comoy Pebble Grain 337. I picked this up new for $40. It's a great little pipe and smokes cooler than you'd expect since the walls are thinner than the others. Odd thing is, I can barely pass a pipe cleaner through the narrow draught hole, but it has a better draw than the Wessex. Ah, the mysteryies of pipe engineering.
Here they are in situ.
prince2_zpsknd7rfpi.jpg

So, I'm currently looking at adding a Rattray Sir William 46, although that pipe seems to be larger than the Wessex, which I may not like. Plus, I hate the filter thing.
I wish I could find a Lorenzetti Titus 29. This looks like an awesome pipe.
1027201201005.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions for a sandblasted prince, let me know.
Feel free to discuss and most importantly, please post up your princes. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like your shape-theme for your stable of pipes, and I really like your pipes. I have only one prince, a Sav Oscar Lucite, but it is well-worn. I'm afraid my only theme is variety of shape, nation of origin, finish, size, and price. I think foggy' recently bought an array of Dunhill princes, maybe six of them, for shorter smokes. The prince is a great shape.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I only have one prince shape and it was my very first pipe. Story starts as I was looking for something to smoke the nubs of my cigars in. Found a antique/flea market and saw a rack of pipes. The Kaywoodie Prince from the mid 50's. The cigar experiment was a failure and the pipe intrigued me. The rest is history.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's a nice brace o' Princes, Seacaptain.
I like the Prince and I like it's slightly stubbier cousin, the Author. Here are two of mine, a Kaywoodie #13B, and a 3 Dot Brigham #29.

The Brigham Prince is still in production and the Chinook is their 4 Dot, sandblasted, version. These pipes are currently made in France.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=143629
Here is another, this is an older Edwards Prince that was gifted to me.

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I was working part time in a five-and-dime, my boss was Mr. McGee...
For serious drooling over princes, head here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/six-new-dunhills
-- Pat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My number one favorite shape is the prince's relative, The Diplomat. Michael Parks is making me a large Diplomat based on my first Dunhill, the one back right.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I too hold the prince shape as one of my favorites. I also agree the the shallow bowl if wonderful for short smokes!
You have a great looking set!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I also had one other prince, a Dunhill Bruyere 3407. I dumped it along with the other non-prince pipes because I just wasn't digging the smooth finish as much as the sandblasts. I hope I don't regret that later. Good thing they're fairly common.
That 50's Kaywoodie is really nice!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have one prince shape. A stunningly gorgeous 1949 Dunhill Root, the grain is perfectly symmetrical and has great birdseye on the from and bottom of the bowl and shank. It came with a replacement stem, which I modified, and still didn't smoke great. I had a new replacement cumberland stem made by Mike at Walker and it smokes incredibly well now. Unfortunately I don't have a pic with the new stem handy but here it is:
020.jpg

017.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Some great looking Princes there guys. I don't have a Prince in the collection yet but it is a shape that I like very much and plan to purchase eventually. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice princes! I don't have one of my own yet, but may go for a Wessex like yours. I have one one of their brownblast bulldogs with the Cumberland Stem, and I like it enough to go for the same thing in a different shape. Mine drew a little tight too, so I did the 5/32" open-up on the shank, left the stem alone, and am very happy with it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.