PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my commissions have been made by either Rad Davis or Jack Howell. I have had plenty of artisan pipes in my collection over the years but my commissions have a special place in my collection.
This Rad Davis Dublin was the first commission I had ever had made. It came out perfect for my eye and for how the pipe smoked.

Here are all the rest of my Rad commissions. In my last culling I did move a few of my Rad commissions so I could make room for my Jack Howell commissions. I won't be showing any commissions I moved out.
Rad's

I didn't realize I had sold off as many Rad commissions as I did. I kept the absolute best smokers.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Jack Howell was a regular at the local pipe club years ago and I've always regretted that law student discretionary spending wouldn't run to one of his pieces. Total gentleman, accomplished at every task he took up. Those pipes are awfully nice.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
They aren’t commissions, but I own a Tim West apple, a pipe that says Jack’s Pipes, and I suppose my seventies Nording #3 and my Ben Wade Matte Special made by Preben Holm were all completely turned out by master craftsmen artisans. That 2% of my pipes sees at least 5% of my smoking. My Ben Wade is my best pipe, period.

Then I own a few Lorenzo’s, all stained orange. Those are semi custom pipes, I suppose. They smoke well, but I seldom smoke them.

It seems to me the first mission of a commissioned, custom pipe is to give pride of ownership. In that regard they are the same as commissioned oil portraits, or the collection of commissioned photographic portraits my great grandfather had of his family. The customer must be pleased.

The second mission is they have to smoke as well as they look. I own four custom made pipes that achieve that.

I also own a Jack H Weinberger I keep in the back of my Yamaha Rhino to smoke English tobacco on my farm. It’s a rather ugly but large pipe, that smokes wet with aromatics.

If JHW were alive I’d send it back and demand a refund.

Jack should a put a reservoir in it.

The hard part of a custom pipe, seems to me to get it to smoke on a level of what it cost.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Royal Oaks Comoy's 499 homage.

Royal Oak Briars​

James Kelly Aydlott is the man behind Royal Oak Briars. James, or "Jim," has studied extensively with American pipe maker Michael Lindner and is currently a member of the growing talent at BriarLab in Nashville, TN. While this influence is apparent in Jim's work, his pipes definitely have a style all their own. Producing mostly classic shapes, Royal Oak Briars' pipes come in three grades: Huntsman, Nobleman, and Monarch.

Royal_Oak_Briars_Huntsman_Gallery.JPG