Let's Discuss Birth Year Pipes. Photos Appreciated.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I did a forum search with no luck in finding a thread strictly about birth year pipes. My birth year is 1959 and I've been searching for a BY pipe...nothing yet.

Do you have a birth year pipe? How did you acquire it? What kind of condition was it in? Will you post a photo?

Let's discuss birth year pipes.

Reactions: supperthyme

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Dunhill is the common pipe to look for with birth year pipes, as all of their pipes are stamped with year codes.

For me it's 1983. Not the BEST year for Dunhill, but im always looking. I had one once but hated the stem so I eventually sold it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a "windmill" I tilt at. I wish many pipes had year of manufacture stamped on them, and not just a code to be decoded. Offhand, the only ones I can verify are the artisan pipe carver in Colfax, N.C., Jerry Perry, who etches the year of completion on each pipe. The one factory pipe I know of is the Italian brand Luciano where the year is stamped clearly on each pipe. Neither of these go back far enough to have done a birth year pipe for me, but I admire their forthrightness. Wouldn't it be nice if Savinelli, which goes back to 1857, had year stamps. Dunhill birth year pipes are great, but their pricing really limits the pleasure of birth year pipes. 'Tis shame.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve contemplated getting one. I’m a relative baby (b. 1989), and a Dunhill Cumberland would fit the bill nicely. Or better yet, an ‘89 Ashton would be a sweet find. If I see one I’m obsessed with I’d be all over it, but as of yet it’s not something I actively hunt for.

@tbradsim1 is that a root briar? The grain is quite lovely, that sort of pipe is right up my alley. Very nice, indeed.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
it came up one day on SPC, my heart nearly stopped, couldn’t buy it fast enough.
Same thing happened to me. I had given up on chasing a birth year Pipe (1973). Then one day on SmokingPipes an unsmoked birth year Dunhill showed up (unsmoked!). I think it took me less than 30 seconds to order it. It is now one of my most cherished pipes in the collection. I may (or may not) smoke it eventually.8603

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'd get one if I could find the right pipe. The easiest ones to date and acquire seem to be Dunhills, but I just don't like Dunhills enough to seek out an 86.

Haven't really done much research on other makers and their quality/availability for that time period. I might at some point.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brigham pipes are notoriously difficult to date to a specific year, but 'early 80s' is close enough to 1981 for me.

I got it in a lot of estates and just loved the shape, stain, and rustication on it.

p_20191016_134231-jpg.5211

Status
Not open for further replies.