Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hey folks,

Do you find yourself smoking the majority of your bowls to ash or do you knock them out and repack?
Since getting back into smoking again I find that I am not finishing my bowls as much as I used to. I believe that this has more to do with the fact that I am not sitting long enough for a complete bowl. When I finally get back to the pipe the next day I just knock it out and start fresh.
Yesterday though I smoking 2 or 3 bowls down to ash.

Are there any consequences to not finishing a bowl? The only thing that came to mind for me was that there may be uneven cake buildup.... But, I clean my pipes regularly enough that a cake does not really form.

I would love to read what your thoughts are!

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: twoonefive

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I try to smoke to the bottom. In my experience, a little cake at the bottom of the bowl is fairly important. You don't say what tobaccos you smoke but, a Virginia or VaPer can be left and finished later. Even if it's just a few puffs, I'll finish a nice va flake if some is left at the bottom of the bowl. Some blends, like aromatics, I have a hard time smoking to the bottom. Just too mush moisture. Since I make most of the pipes I smoke, I use a bowl size that allows me to finish what I started far more often than not.

Mike S.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I have not finished a pipe at night I will not smoke it the next day. I would much rather smoke a fresh pipe to start the day than a half smoked ashy tasting left over. Pipe tobacco is so cheap I don't feel bad tossing 40 cents of tobacco.

I also have no issues smoking to the bottom as I have done it for long enough it is habit now.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I smoke right down,and light up the ashes.Not so much as to char the bottom of the chamber,but to where some cake will form.I don't like to see bare wood at the bottom.But this whole thing about smoking technique is really subjective, anyhow.I guess as long as you're not causing physical damage to the pipe, and you're getting an enjoyable smoke is the important thing.Happy smoking.puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most bowls are smoked to ash, even if that needs another day to finish.

Smoking to the end requires tobacco that is well dried. Added benefit: the heat in the heel will make for a nice dry pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some pipes and some blends burn down to the ash with no deterioration of taste at all, and those I am pleased to finish. On the other hand, if the taste sours in any way, gets ashy or stale, I gladly throw out a bit of dottle, figuring it has served as a filter for the smoke that tasted good. I am kind of a thrifty guy, but throwing out a little unburnt leaf at the bottom of the bowl offends me not at all. I don't build cake; a number of Forums members don't. We scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel and never need to ream. The thin carbon layer does everything cake would do, and the bowl stays the same diameter forever, for decades I can attest.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I’m with Mike Stanley in that you need to develop a cake at the bottom on your pipes. With that said, it’s more about the time you have to dedicate to a specific bowl than anything. Sometimes you just have to be somewhere else and that last little bit gets sacrificed.

Reactions: waznyf

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends on which blend and which pipe. Don't really care for cake, and don't really care if I smoke to ash. If there's too much moisture in the bottom, it won't take relight and left over gets dumped. If I feel like I had enough and less then 15 min of smoke left, it gets dumped. I like DGT, but I don't save when there isn't enough tobacco left in the bowl to enjoy the smoke.

Reactions: waznyf

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I try to smoke to the bottom. In my experience, a little cake at the bottom of the bowl is fairly important. You don't say what tobaccos you smoke but, a Virginia or VaPer can be left and finished later. Even if it's just a few puffs, I'll finish a nice va flake if some is left at the bottom of the bowl. Some blends, like aromatics, I have a hard time smoking to the bottom. Just too mush moisture. Since I make most of the pipes I smoke, I use a bowl size that allows me to finish what I started far more often than not.

Mike S.

My apologies for not mentioning that. I have been smoking a light aromatic from my local brick and mortar.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Due to being in extremely high demand at all times of the day (between work, wife and kids), It takes me, on average, 2-3 sessions to finish a full bowl almost every pipe I smoke. That one pipeful could last me an entire week. In fact, I've left pipes sitting for days / full week half full and returning to a smoke of as good quality as the initial light. I do not notice any difference in taste, personally

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I smoke it till it starts to taste bad, either sucking ash or just the end of the bowl sour (its not sour, but I don't have a word for the flavor that sometimes pervades that last little bit)

That said, most of the timer there is at least a small amount of dottle left in the bowl. I chalk it up to the cost of smoking a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.