PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I am generally a Virginia and VaPer smoker, and I really love McClelland Virginas (Dark Star, St. James, Blackwoods, Christmas Cheer, all among my favorites!), and I was wanting something smooth and slightly rum-flavored without having an aromatic. So naturally, Navy Cavendish seemed like the route to go. I ordered the larger tin, and when it arrived, it even had a few years of age on it. When I lit it up, though, I was REALLY unimpressed. It was very flat and boring tasting. I figured it might just be me, so I of course made it a point to smoke several more bowls of it over a few weeks, and I hate to say it, but I think this is not only not what I expected, but not even nice to smoke. I've never experienced this from McClelland before.
Does anyone else share this view of this tobacco? Could it just be me somehow?
Also, being on the topic, I just read about Gawith and Hoggart Rum Flake, and it sounds to be more of what I was wanting. Does anyone have experience with both blends? Would you recommend one over the other?
Thank you!
Steven

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Now I'm getting angry at my tongue haha! I can't figure out why this tobacco is boring me so much. You guys have inspired me to give it another shot and see if I can't make friends with it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I don't have any experience with the other two you mention. I'll have to give them a try as well! Right now I've got my sights on G&H Rum Flake. Hopefully that will satisfy what I'm looking for!

Jan 8, 2013
I enjoy McClelland's Navy Cavendish. I keep a few tins on hand, but it's one I really want to multiply my stock of. I wouldn't count it out just yet. Set it aside for a while, let it breathe in the open tin with the lid on for a couple weeks, try it in a different pipe.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would let it dry out more than you would think.
Also try several different pipes.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Preparing some now. "Once more into the breach, dear friends! Once more! Or close the wall up with our English blends!"

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It could also be your tongue. Sometimes I get leather tongue and lose the taste.
I found those McClelland virginia's smoke great when super bone dry. Also try delayed gratification. Light it up and then leave it for a few hours or overnight.
Nice looking pipe by the way. Is that a Dunhill Cumberland line pipe? I almost bought one not too long ago.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I just lit it and got it going. I'm setting it down now for a little. It's all a fun experiment.
Thanks! Yes it's a Cumberland, my birth year, 1985. I found it unsmoked for only $250. Very pleased! And it has a great blast on it. I had a 1980 for a while that was jut not a looker at all. Selling it helped me get this one.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Very nice. That's my favorite Dunhill line.
I'm still looking for a birth year pipe myself. I would prefer if it's unsmoked but it's been hard to find so far. I saw one or two that had been previously smoked but I really didn't like any of them.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
What year are you looking for (if that isn't a rude question haha!)? If I spot a nice one for a good price, I'd be happy to let you know!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
NC is one of my favorites, but it's definitely on the mild side of medium, so maybe it just doesn't have enough juice for you.
C&D After Hours Flake is pretty good, with more rum than NC for sure.
G&H Rum Flake does have some floral Lakeland essence, so watch out.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I like lots of McC blends, but Navy Cav was a letdown for me too. I love Virginias, so I know how subtle they can be, but my aged tin was just bland. I gave it away.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the Lakeland warning, Krizzose! And thanks everyone else for all the information and opinions!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Look...if you don't like it , you don't like it. Life is short, smoke what makes you happy.
What he said. I'm betting that if you let it dry right or find the right pipe or pack, it will taste better. I've tried a lot of tobaccos that others recommended that ended up not appealing to me. I end up using them to modify other blends I don't like for different reasons. Somehow they all can be steered into good smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.