PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yes, I wouldn't force it upon myself, it just kind of shocked me that I absolutely love everything McClelland I've ever tried, so this one tasting "bland" caught me off guard and made me wonder if it wasn't something I was doing that was going wrong. I have a few more strategies to try. I have a good amount of it, so I'd rather it not go to waste!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Navy Cavendish is pleasant to me, but a little on the boring side, I would agree.
GH Rum Flake is not really rummy, so forget that if rum is what you are after. Rum Flake carries about 40 different flavors, and it comes across a little perfumey - if you think the tins description (which if I remember right boasts of rum and almond or something) sounds kind of earthy and sweet, you'll be disappointed by the strangely floral arrangement (haha). It's good stuff, but not rummy in the way an American would expect given the name.
There's a good bit of rum in Gawith's Navy Flake, but also a good bit of latakia. Not for everyone.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the guidance, Sasquatch. I'm after a quality Virginia with a rum flavor that is more "natural" tasting, rather than officially aromatic. I've never had anything with Latakia that has a flavor to it, but perhaps it's time to journey into that realm!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Really enjoy Black Frigate and Blockade Runner and wanted to give it try.
These are exactly what you are looking for. Most tobacco's with rum I have a hard time finding the rum but not those two.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really love DNF. I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago and I've bought a whole bunch to cellar since then. I think the trick is to really dry it out before you smoke it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hawky, if you mean Dark Navy Flake when you typed DNF, then I wholeheartedly agree with you, it's great! My question was regarding a similar named but totally different tobacco, which is Navy Cavendish. Not too difficult to confuse the two!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oops, you're absolutely right. My apologies... I'm delirious from sleep deprivation on account of my wife giving birth to a lil baby girl.... She's so wonderful and worth all the exhaustion, I just need to get used to not getting any sleep. :/ I have not tried the Navy Cavendish...

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Haha it's no problem! And congratulations on your new family addition! I've got three kids myself, so sleep exhaustion is a regular part of my life haha.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I really liked my last tin of McClelland Navy Cavendish. That tin, however, was 12 years old when I opened it & aging can make such a difference with Virginias. I also really like G&H Rum Flake, but it's such a different animal from the McC Navy Cavendish that there's really no way I can fairly compare them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried this Cavendish blend and have never had a mostly Cav blend on my rotation since years ago when I had a light and dark Cav blend that was tasty but very mild. Mostly I think of Cav as being a condiment leaf, for building smoke volume and lending a subtle sweetness. If you don't like it as a blend, I'd try dusting it into other blends and see if it comes to life or brings them to life. Cavendish is kind of tricky but a worthy process for making condiment. From above posts, I guess it is also a pretty good smoke in itself in certain blends.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha it's no problem! And congratulations on your new family addition! I've got three kids myself, so sleep exhaustion is a regular part of my life haha.
Much appreciated, bud. Still trying to adjust! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.