PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sorry but the office is very busy with taking orders and processing, and the UK is still under covid restrictions with people working from home and self isolation after any positive tests. The website is being worked on and is no longer "under construction" but is still fairly basic until the full version is launched.

We do not do factory visits as simply not possible. We are a working manufacturing unit and for health and safety we cannot have visitors around. We do not have the facilities, staff or space to do this. Also due to covid restrictions we cannot just have people in. We are renovating the old factory on Lowther Street and this will become a small shop and museum with a private (or maybe public) function room, offices and 2 apartments available for let. But due to it being a listed (historical) building and then covid it has taken years of talks with the local council to get planning permission and building work is just commencing.
Thank you for weighing in.

I'm other news, how amazingly awesome would it be to live in one of those two apartments!?

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Sorry but the office is very busy with taking orders and processing, and the UK is still under covid restrictions with people working from home and self isolation after any positive tests. The website is being worked on and is no longer "under construction" but is still fairly basic until the full version is launched.

We do not do factory visits as simply not possible. We are a working manufacturing unit and for health and safety we cannot have visitors around. We do not have the facilities, staff or space to do this. Also due to covid restrictions we cannot just have people in. We are renovating the old factory on Lowther Street and this will become a small shop and museum with a private (or maybe public) function room, offices and 2 apartments available for let. But due to it being a listed (historical) building and then covid it has taken years of talks with the local council to get planning permission and

We do not do factory visits as simply not possible. We are a working manufacturing unit and for health and safety we cannot have visitors around. We do not have the facilities, staff or space to do this. Also due to covid restrictions we cannot just have people in. We are renovating the old factory on Lowther Street and this will become a small shop and museum with a private (or maybe public) function room, offices and 2 apartments available for let. But due to it being a listed (historical) building and then covid it has taken years of talks with the local council to get planning permission and building work is just commencing.
How do I go about booking one of the apartments?? ?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
They will be for AirBnB once up and running but will be at least a year off.
I’m sure they will be well loved and used by Pipe smokers for many years to come.
When you say “a shop”, will this be a shop selling all things Gawith’s and Gawith and Hoggarth or will this be a shop rented out and could be selling anything?
When we finally get rid of Covid, are yours of the factory something you guys might consider - like whisky distillery tours? I’m sure that there would be interest from tourists and pipe smokers alike if you did.

Also, thank you for all the great tobaccos and keep up the good work. ??

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m sure they will be well loved and used by Pipe smokers for many years to come.
When you say “a shop”, will this be a shop selling all things Gawith’s and Gawith and Hoggarth or will this be a shop rented out and could be selling anything?
When we finally get rid of Covid, are tours of the factory something you guys might consider - like whisky distillery tours? I’m sure that there would be interest from tourists and pipe smokers alike if you did.

When we finally get rid of Covid, are yours of the factory something you guys might consider - like whisky distillery tours? I’m sure that there would be interest from tourists and pipe smokers alike if you did.

*tours

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
You're about a year too late. For some reason the Lakeland flavoring has been greatly diminished across all of their notable blends. Even GL Pease's Stonehenge surpasses the florals of the most recent GH Lakelands.
This is interesting. You're not the first person I have read about that says GLP Stonehenge has a Lakeland like floral quality to it. I love Stonehenge, but I've never been able to pick up on any floral notes. The flavoring is officially listed as Cocoa / Chocolate. I guess it just reinforces that we all have different tastes... literally!

Reactions: JohnMosesBrowning

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
As already stated we cannot currently do tours due to the factory being a fully operational manufacturing unit and there is simply not the space, time or resources to do tours and also health and safety would be a major issue. The shop will be to sell tobacco and possibly other local items.
@gawithhoggarth - I appreciate what you are saying about the tours and I’m sure you are sick to the back teeth with answering the same question over and over; I just thought it could be an extra revenue stream was all.

Anyway, great news about the shop - will this be completed by the summer do you think or is it going to take longer? I’m just planning a summer road trip up north of the border and was going to drop into Kendal on my way up there.

Again, I’m really enjoying your Lakeland blends at the moment

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@gawithhoggarth: Would you guys please do something about your Lakeland sauce on your tobacco. I have been smoking your products for 35+ years and of recent the sauce on Ennerdale, Coniston Cut Plug and Bosuns Plug has become noticeable thinner. The latest batch of Ennerdale had about as much rose geranium essence as a fart in a thunderstorm. I know we live in inflationary time but 'shrink-flation' on your Lakeland offerings has become very noticeable. Please don't get into the trap that befell Condor after Gallaghers moved production to Eastern Europe and the plugs became in the words of Jim Inks as pale shade of their previous incarnations. The current run doesn't even ghost a pipe!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
No sorry the shop will be a year or two off given we have only just managed to get planning permission after 3 years of talks and plans and the main building work is yet to start.
@gawithhoggarth - Understandable: glaciers are known to move quicker than Council planning departments! Throw a global pandemic into the mix and I should think that getting anything approved in three years is good going!

I look forward to visiting when it is completed, God willing and good luck. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
@gawithhoggarth: Would you guys please do something about your Lakeland sauce on your tobacco. I have been smoking your products for 35+ years and of recent the sauce on Ennerdale, Coniston Cut Plug and Bosuns Plug has become noticeable thinner. The latest batch of Ennerdale had about as much rose geranium essence as a fart in a thunderstorm. I know we live in inflationary time but 'shrink-flation' on your Lakeland offerings has become very noticeable. Please don't get into the trap that befell Condor after Gallaghers moved production to Eastern Europe and the plugs became in the words of Jim Inks as pale shade of their previous incarnations. The current run doesn't even ghost a pipe!
I have already responded to this issue, which a couple of people have brought up. I mentioned to the production team and they assure me they are not doing anything different and there is no change. It is something I will look into further though. We are not moving to Eastern Europe! I lived there for 14 years and will not be going back! [Except for holidays and to see friends and charity work]. We are remaining in Kendal where we have been for 200+ years and where the family lives.