PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hey guys, I just got my Falcon pipe and I am loving it. Draw is great, no tongue bite on problem tobaccos but it seems to mute the flavors noticeably compared to my usual cobs, Is this common?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Might be not so much a muting of flavors as the fact that you really like the taste the cob imparts, a slight sweetness.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Not in my limited experience, but there are so many variables in play when smoking that your observations may well be correct for you

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The faster you smoke, two things happen: smoke gets hotter, taste diminishes. The heat can act as a conditioning signal to modulate puffing cadence. A Falcon smokes cooler than a regular-stemmed pipe, so it's possible you're puffing faster without realizing it.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've experienced muted flavours from falcons but only with certain bowl and blend combinations. I figure that briar can be fussy about what it smokes whether it's just a bowl or bowl and shank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own any metal pipes, so I haven't observed (or not observed) this, however I have had a metal stinger pipe or two where the partly metal airway seemed to mute the flavor somewhat, notably an L.L. Bean pot shaped pipe. The stinger on that one didn't slip out, but another pipe I had, with a removable stinger gave improved flavor immediately when the stinger was removed. On the other hand, the metal stinger in my Kaywoodie Drinkless (which also has the thread that screws the stem to the shank) seems to deliver good flavor. It might be that a different bowl on the Falcon could deliver more flavor.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
It might just need to be broken in and maybe build up some cake as well. Man this really works! I can usually only have 2 bowls a day before my mouth get irritated but I've had 4 so far today (3 habana dayreams and 1 Brown twist) with no problems at all. I think its actually the moisture and not the smoke that bothers my mouth. I'm having so much fun trying different blends that gave me problems and I'm looking forward to trying more. I think I might get a cob bowl as well :). When I run a cleaner down the stem I get no moisture at all!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Not really.. I have two falcons with numerous bowls.. and they are great.. and actually they are even good when rotating different blends in them.. maybe You need to clean it well

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Less taste with a Falcon? I guess my experience has been the opposite, particularly when sweet virginias and orientals are involved. For example, though I've mostly been able to reproduce the effect in more traditional briars since, the first time I felt like I tasted everything in a bowl of the never-popular Royal Yacht, I found it in a Falcon, which seems to strip nothing more than moisture from the smoke. The draw can be a lot more open on a Falcon than your average filterless pipe, making it easier to smoke with a hotter ember. Just a guess ... :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.