PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Few of us who support the grammarian side of the argument are represented here. We are likely to get called out for our bad grammar. Contracts and constitutions demand accurate language, however, so I don’t enjoy the slippage in standards.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"And then add the “glottal stop” that replaces “T”s. Yowzer!"

Edger, I confess to have used the glottal stop in speech on occasion but it's something I wish I didn't utter.

Another linguistic gripe I have is when folk say "haitch" for the 8th letter of the alphabet when it is actually "aitch". I have heard many so called educated folk in politics and the TV media say "haitch" that leaves me wondering how they got the job in the first place.

My late father was a journalist of the old school and would likely have dismissed a potential trainee for uttering such among other linguistic nonsenses.

Over here we have a TV journalist called Beth Rigby and she has an awful habit of leaving the 'g' from the end of words such as "when I was vistitin 10 Downin Street hopin to speak to...." .

Your language defines you just as much as your manners!

Regards,

Jay.?

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Another linguistic gripe I have is when folk say "haitch" for the 8th letter of the alphabet when it is actually "aitch". I have heard many so called educated folk in politics and the TV media say "haitch"

Jay, I'm pretty sure a test of how YOU think that the 8th letter of the alphabet should sound is not a normal job interview question.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
"And then add the “glottal stop” that replaces “T”s. Yowzer!"

Edger, I confess to have used the glottal stop in speech on occasion but it's something I wish I didn't utter.

Another linguistic gripe I have is when folk say "haitch" for the 8th letter of the alphabet when it is actually "aitch". I have heard many so called educated folk in politics and the TV media say "haitch" that leaves me wondering how they got the job in the first place.

My late father was a journalist of the old school and would likely have dismissed a potential trainee for uttering such among other linguistic nonsenses.

Over here we have a TV journalist called Beth Rigby and she has an awful habit of leaving the 'g' from the end of words such as "when I was vistitin 10 Downin Street hopin to speak to...." .

Regards,

Jay.?
I'm with you. My relatives in Ulster all use "haitch". The dumbing down of standards does no one any good.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
America is too large and unique to make and keep any hard grammer rules. Language and dialect change over time. Even great authors and poets have bent and down right broken strict accepted rules of written grammer.

To nit pick someone's grammer or pronunciation, is just saying, "how I was taught is right and how you were taught is wrong".
Nah! You over simplify. One of the reasons we are so polarized today is that no one agrees that accuracy in language is important. It's the" my truth"shit over the more universally accepted TRUTH.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I'm pretty sure a test of how YOU think that the 8th letter of the alphabet should sound is not a normal job interview question."

JMcQ, the horse is dead, you can stop flogging it now.

Regards,

Jay.?

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I think the few people still using the Oxford comma are the only reason civilization still stands.

I went to the fair with the strippers, Hitler, and Stalin.

I went to the fair with the strippers, Hitler and Stalin.

Very different meanings there.

Fewer people misunderstand me, than if I try to speak another language. In Paris, back in college, every time I would ask where the bathroom was in my high school French, some jackass would send me into an alley... which I was pretty sure someone was waiting to kill me... or Parisians prefer to piss in the alley... not sure which is which.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John, "o1f course" being an appositive phrase, it needs a comma before, as well as after. I put some extras in the other sentence so feel free to use one of those of course!

You be rite! I do have plenny 'postrophes and commas, though.
Thanks!, !, !, !,!

P.S. Wouldn't a comma go nicely before "of course"? Prolly not necessary, tho.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

Yes, but isn't that affectation quite "U"?

Similar to Bertie Wooster, IIRC.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
"Still, for anyone who has been around long enough to cultivate a particular usage, the "wrong" diction can really grate. "

I'm forever dismayed that Americans have lost the ability to pronounce the letter 'T' in many words as thus....

"In twenny twenny the democradic pardy did their doody and voded for Biden in the baddle of the pardies".

Having heard American speech from the earliest available recordings, this seems to have been a relatively recent thing.

Regards,

Jay.?
actually it's the British that say T all weird. Like when they say thing. Of course that's perspective but I always find it funny when I hear British people doing their American accent and think oh God that's how we sound to them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Some people have a mastery of the English language, and some people not english so good.
^right there why it's important to learn proper language skills, or in other words that first half no idea what the guy is talking about (as usual) it's not till after the (,) that it gains any clarity. But what can you expect from a Cosmic guy probably too high on some weird drug to string words together well (or good not sure which it is).

• Sad
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
"To nit pick someone's grammer or pronunciation, is just saying, "how I was taught is right and how you were taught is wrong"."

JMcQ, the word you are looking for is grammar so I can confidently say that you were indeed 'taught wrong' ?

Regards,

Jay.?
I agree with JMcQ. You know when not even the experts can agree on certain things or even understand. Seriously there are rules in English no one talks about and yet they're there and discovered by linguist somewhat frequently. Things that aren't actively taught things we all do that no school has ever said you have to.

^right there why it's important to learn proper language skills, or in other words that first half no idea what the guy is talking about (as usual) it's not till after the (,) that it gains any clarity. But what can you expect from a Cosmic guy probably too high on some weird drug to string words together well (or good not sure which it is).
I don't know no nothing about no speaking good... but I do it stone cold sober. puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.