PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
I used to own a Lepeltier simple billiard but after two house moves,managed to misplace it. My recollection is that it smoked well, was easy to clean and maintain. Before deciding to replace the errant pipe, am soliciting thoughts, pro and con, from others with more recent smoking experience with them. I guess they're cheap enough to take a flyer and just buy one, but your thoughts and comments would be helpful! Thanks, JR

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
In my opinion are the best clay pipes now in production and one of the best pipes in absolute. The advantage they have over the tavern clay pipes is that they are double walled which means they don't get hot as regular clay (still warmer than briar but very comfortable to hold) and that they have a vulcanite stem so it is eliminated the issue of burning your lips with the clay stem of the tavern pipes. The weak point is the cork connecting the stem which every while need to be replaced and that they are still fragile even if probably sturdier than tavern pipes but probably still not good to be used outside for this reason.

I think they are worth every penny and one of the best smoking pipes in absolute. Go for them.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I had never heard of a Lepeltier pipe so I looked up their web site. They look very interesting. Thanks for pointing me to something new.

http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/index.html

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
64alex: thanks. Tulsagentleman: you're welcome. Keep the comments coming- they're much appreciated

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd never heard of these. They look interesting, though my cabinet and racks are full. Puzzling why they don't show specific pipes with prices and only show an array of examples. Out of curiosity, what are the prices on the basic shapes? It's inconvenient that they only accept money orders and pay pal, but I assume they are a quite-small business.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Puzzling why they don't show specific pipes with prices and only show an array of examples.]
They do quote the prices if you click in the specific styles on the link. They range from 55$ for the basic models to 65-70$ for the decorated ones. They are more expensive than simple tavern pipes but definitely worth the money considering the advantages of being double walled and being furnished with a vulcanite stem.

I don't know if there are other manufacturers which are currently making clay pipes with these specs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Neat. I didn't know anyone made the double-walled clay pipes. I always thought they should try that with Brylon both for weight and to make them cooler to hold. Good idea with the clay for sure.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The concept of double walled clay chambers has been around for a long time. They were even produced so as to reveal a hidden image as the clay colored. The inside wall of the outer bowl is coated to control the absorption of tars an oils, rendering an image as the bowl is smoked. Here's the website: http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/Smokiana/04-E%20Zenith.html

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
Cortez, thanks for the link. The Zenith Pipes are quite attractive, but the prices are quite steep compared to the Lepeletier offerings, which start at a fairly modest $ 55. I decided to buy one and will find out if it's as good as I remember. Again, thanks for the input!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've got one and it smokes well. You can call Hazel and she will send you a couple of the cork gaskets for minimal cost if that's a concern. I did, just so I'd have them on hand because eventually they wear out. Easy to clean and maintain. Nice cool smoke.
The only complaint is that the draft hole is at the bottom of the bowl and that can be a bit of a PITA once in awhile. I heard about the trick of packing the bowl with a toothpick in the hole and then removing it prior to the charring light. Also a PITA but works quite well and fixed the issue. I suppose if you smoked it enough you'd get the hang of packing it without blocking the draft hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.