PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I am a scotch single malt lover who dabbles into bourbon, rum, brandy and particularly rye. I am looking for tasty and interesting alternatives with an eye on saving a few pounds. I see various 'moonshines' sold in mason jars on line and am wondering if they are any good? The avb/proofs are generally low but the flavours sound interesting. Is it worth having a dabble into this or not? Looking for reccomendations, and being based in Scotland, preferably obtainable here.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am a scotch single malt lover who dabbles into bourbon, rum, brandy and particularly rye. I am looking for tasty and interesting alternatives with an eye on saving a few pounds. I see various 'moonshines' sold in mason jars on line and am wondering if they are any good? The avb/proofs are generally low but the flavours sound interesting. Is it worth having a dabble into this or not? Looking for reccomendations, and being based in Scotland, preferably obtainable here.
Few years ago “apple pie shine” got popular after people started making it at home, it’s hit and miss made by the big distilleries. I doubt any of the brands are the little guys if you look them up.

Reactions: JOHN72

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
If it's the clear stuff I see in stores, it's not aged in wood, it's right off the still, so I wouldn't pay alot for it. Everclear would probably be cheaper, just dilute it down to a reasonable proof. Depends also what it's made from.
If you tour a distillery, ask if you can have a taste right off the still. We did this on Islay and you could taste the peat, but that's it, no wood. Think of a cheap, minimally aged whiskey you've tried and take it down a few more notches, there you are.
If you like single malts, I think you'll be disappointed in 'moonshine'.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Few years ago “apple pie shine” got popular after people started making it at home, it’s hit and miss made by the big distilleries. I doubt any of the brands are the little guys if you look them up.
I prefer making high proof apple pie liqueur or liquor.

High proof vodka, flash infused with apple juice, apple cider, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, various types of sugars, and star anise. It's similar to mulled cider.

The house smells wonderful and you can make a non alcohol version for kids or non drinkers.

I've had real moonshine and am not a huge fan (although it is better mixed with Gatorade or in a slurpee). The flavored moonshine by Ole Smoky are novelties, but decent for what they are.

Happy to sip some, but it doesn't quite act like Lady Bourbon, who slowly spreads her angelic wings of warmth in your chest as an embrace while her nectar comforts the soul.

Reactions: serpentx and mso489

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I prefer making high proof apple pie liqueur or liquor.

High proof vodka, flash infused with apple juice, apple cider, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, various types of sugars, and star anise. It's similar to mulled cider.

The house smells wonderful and you can make a non alcohol version for kids or non drinkers.

I've had real moonshine and am not a huge fan (although it is better mixed with Gatorade or in a slurpee). The flavored moonshine by Ole Smoky are novelties, but decent for what they are.

Happy to sip some, but it doesn't quite act like Lady Bourbon, who slowly spreads her angelic wings of warmth in your chest as an embrace while her nectar comforts the soul.
This is about the same as pie shine but it’s 151 and a splash oh shoot i think it was whipped cream vodka or something. There was a cigar brother, angel (RIP) that would make gallons of it for big cigar herfs, he passed away and this woman Jenny started to make it with his recipe, i think she’s the one that added the whipped cream. I admit it was good stuff, just had to be careful with it.

@onepyrotec Did you ever have angels version at socal?

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I heard once that the real reason moonshine was regulated was because folks were filling up their Model A gas tanks with the stuff cheaper than at the filling stations. The oil industry lobbied to make moonshine illegal so people would be forced to buy gas. Not sayin' thats true, but I'm not sayin' it's not, either!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've always wanted to try a true and proper moonshine if for no other reason than to have a reference point.

In all honesty, a quality whisky/whiskey or brandy is extremely hard to beat.
You're not missing much. The only real appeal of it is the fact you're not paying taxes on it. If you've had it enough you might enjoy it because of building an association. Taste is from my experience mostly cheap alcohol made with no thought beyond will mess you up good. As for a buzz it's fine.

Aug 1, 2012
It's dead easy to make (if quite illegal so don't do it!) and a disappearing still can be made with items most have in their kitchen. That said, while it's easy to make crappy, or even blatantly undrinkable, shine it's darn hard to make the good stuff. The best I had was distilled from apples by a couple cousins of my friend in Latvia. It was some of the most amazing tasting shine available but they were the ones doing it right. Some sold a mixture mostly consisting of heads and tails and it'd give you a blinding headache in 3 shots or less. Some still bought that stuff nightly and it definitely hastened the arrival of the grim reaper.

I don't drink the stuff anymore but it's not a thing worth chasing. If you fall into it, great. If not, it only ends in tears.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's dead easy to make (if quite illegal so don't do it!) and a disappearing still can be made with items most have in their kitchen. That said, while it's easy to make crappy, or even blatantly undrinkable, shine it's darn hard to make the good stuff. The best I had was distilled from apples by a couple cousins of my friend in Latvia. It was some of the most amazing tasting shine available but they were the ones doing it right. Some sold a mixture mostly consisting of heads and tails and it'd give you a blinding headache in 3 shots or less. Some still bought that stuff nightly and it definitely hastened the arrival of the grim reaper.

I don't drink the stuff anymore but it's not a thing worth chasing. If you fall into it, great. If not, it only ends in tears.
the legality is often very regional, but even where you can legally make it the laws limit how much and who you can give it too and where you can drink it. and some places have long traditions of home distilling and produce some rough but good stuff. lots of places in eastern europe and places with long standing stiff restrictions on alcohol. it is one of those easier then people think but still make sure you're doing it right.

Reactions: karam