PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
I have a question about leather tobacco pouches. I have seen one on Etsy made from bison leather I really love. However, I have some concerns will it "learn" a tobacco as in it will take in the flavor of the tobacco and alter the next flavor? I know pipes do that if you mix aromatics and English.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Qball89

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pouches should be lined.

When I got into leatherworking I wanted to make tobacco pouches, but there's more to it than just folding a piece of leather and stitching: one must consider whether a leathery taste will be imparted to the tobacco, which would ruin the smoke; one must also consider the tannage of the leather and whether residues from the stuff used to tan it would end up in the tobacco and pose a health hazard upon smoking it.

Best crafting practice would be to line the pouch with some food-grade/food-safe plastic material to keep the tobacco from making contact with the leather. Aaaand... that's where it got not just a wee bit more complicated but also more expensive to manufacture, and I abandoned the project for other things people would be more willing to pay for.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have a Dunhill pouch, beautiful soft leather, rubber lining.
I only use it for St Bruno. Thu smell does linger, even after being empty for a couple of days, unavoidable I guess.
That would be my recommendation. I doubt if there's better out there.
I paid £,55 here in UK.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Explorer- are these the ones? Are they lined? - a "coating" on the leather isn't the same.

The leather looks too thick to be real high quality.

il_1588xN.3375993234_8o7f.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thick leather: necessary for some applications, but not for a pouch unless it's going to see tough wear, but that's just a personal preference,

Reactions: JOHN72
Jun 23, 2019
No offense but that's just a piece of folded leather.

A leather tobacco pouch is supposed to be lined and 'seal'-able.

Depending on where you live, those Etsy ones posted here will dry up your tobacco immediately.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
No offense but that's just a piece of folded leather.

A leather tobacco pouch is supposed to be lined and 'seal'-able.

Depending on where you live, those Etsy ones posted here will dry up your tobacco immediately.
Even the lined ones dry tobacco fairly quickly. I have 5 or 6 that I use regularly. All are lined but tobacco will last about a week or so before it becomes dry. This not always a bad thing. I put 1q/Capt. Black in a pouch and in a week or two it is perfect.

Jun 23, 2019
Even the lined ones dry tobacco fairly quickly. I have 5 or 6 that I use regularly. All are lined but tobacco will last about a week or so before it becomes dry. This not always a bad thing. I put 1q/Capt. Black in a pouch and in a week or two it is perfect.

Yeah it'll depend on your local climate, but a week in the pouch is pretty decent by my standards over here.

- - -

On second thought:

Take on of these Etsy leather folds, grab a freezer Ziplock, and a small Boveda and you probably have a "Port-a-Humi" so to speak. Bet that'll work real well actually...

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Yeah it'll depend on your local climate, but a week in the pouch is pretty decent by my standards over here.

- - -

On second thought:

Take on of these Etsy leather folds, grab a freezer Ziplock, and a small Boveda and you probably have a "Port-a-Humi" so to speak. Bet that'll work real well actually...
You may be right on the freezer bag but I like real dry tobacco. Here in Colorado it’s really dry so these pouches don’t keep well.

Grexeles

Lurker
Sep 29, 2023
Leather can absorb odors and flavors over time, so there's a chance it might "learn" the tobacco aroma. To avoid any alteration of flavors, you could consider using a separate pouch for each type of tobacco. Also, if you're looking for alternative storage options or want to explore different materials, you might find something suitable on interplas.com. They offer a variety of bags and pouches for various purposes.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
They have always struck me as something else to drop money on. I figured they would dry out tobacco pretty quick. Didn’t think about ghosting. Now I want one even less. Thanks for sparing me some cash! I will spend it on a few tins instead.