PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Hey everyone, the other week I was at my local B&M and was perusing through the pipes, then I found a pipe that really stuck my interest, it was a leather covered pipe, and thinking back to the thread that ran here about a week or two ago I decided what the heck and bought it so here it is an Ehrlich leather pipe.

IMG_1895_zps599e8de5.jpg
[/url][/img]

I've smoked the crap out of it trying to see if it would get hot and low and behold it never got hot once.

~Ron

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
rmason said:

"I've smoked the crap out of it trying to see if it would

get hot and low and behold it never got hot once."
or maybe it did, but you just couldn't feel the heat ... sorta like using a hot pad to pull a pan out of the oven.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
or maybe it did, but you just couldn't feel the heat ... sorta like using a hot pad to pull a pan out of the oven.
That is more along the line of what I meant to say thanks for the correction, I've been up doing Calculus for what is pushing 14 hours so I am missing a lot of things in my typing.

~Ron

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I found some info about Mastercraft (now on Pipedia) that talked about leather covered.
...copied from M. Gasparini...(Gasparini, to my knowledge is the only maker of leather covered in the world) If you buy a leather covered pipe it was, most assuredly covered by M/G. And you thought the wood in the Grabow COLOR was bad.....outta unrap one of these scrappers.
I think the wood comment a bit harsh. You can build a nice smoker from such briar. So what if it has sand pits and such. The leather makes it an attractive pipe.
P.S. The fellow talking about it was a Grabow VP.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I can't say, Dan, According to Ted, that'd be a yes. If you want to look at the full article:

http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe, I think the leather is very cool looking. My dad once owned one of those leather pipes and it would not surprise me if it was an Ehrlich as he used to take me to that store when I was a kid along with visits to Peretti's. I am glad to hear you enjoy how it smokes, congrats.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Yeah, Dan. I had one of those too. Not sure of the branding; it was probably basket grade. I was smoking a black Cavendish in those days with a vanilla essence. I've been smoking a lot of Virginia variants these days -- oh so much more sophisticated, doncha know. :)
Actually having a problem with them too. Not tongue bite but an irritation at the top, rear of my mouth. Trying to figure it out and actually picked up a bit of the old black stuff that seems more forgiving. Guess what goes around comes around.
As to pipes, I've never really been a big spender. I've managed a nice rack picking up old Algerian briar pipes on ebay. $10-20 investments for the most part but it is a nicer rack IMO than those factory pipes I used to have. A number of them are the Mastercraft pipes that link talks about. Funny that they are cheaper than the pipes I bought in the 70's with 70's dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.