Layering Two Blends in the Same Pipe. Have You Done It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm not talking about mixing two different blends together and then packing a bowl. Do you or have you ever packed the bottom of the bowl with one blend and then packed the top half with a different blend? If you have, can you taste when you get to the second blend? Or does it just start to all burn together?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are describing filling the camber with 2 different fresh tabaks in "double decker" style, and then firing up the pipe.
If so, this I have not done.
However, sometimes though, I fill a 1/2 cooked bowl with a different fresh tabak on top, and light the "upper deck"; but I do not think this is what you are asking. - Sherm Natman

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, but as both blends were English style, couldn't tell the difference. Sometimes I have a jar with very dry tobacco, and will start the fill with that, then the same or different (but similar) tobacco on top that isn't overly dry. Works a treat.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You've stumbled upon the parfait pack. I like one with dark fired burley on top and red Virginias on the bottom. Start out strong and earthy and finish sweet and tangy.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, parfait ^^
Depending upon the combination it can be quite enjoyable.
I do this with G&H flavored ropes and twists by making a nest of straight VA on the bottom and the slightly rubbed out coins over that. Magical.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Awhile back there was a youtube video with Glynn Quelch, formerly of GQ Tobaccos fame, where he layered various combinations and related his impressions as each layer of tobacco came into play.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Interesting....maybe some kind of aromatic followed by some kind of English...
I'm thinking about that because I like to mix a little Pirate Kake (very lat heavy) with Bagpiper's Dream.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I layer every day. I like to load the first third of the bowl with Murray's era Royal Yacht and the top 2/3rds of the bowl with Five Brothers. The Five Brothers is a strong Burley that easily absorbs the added essence of the Royal Yacht as I smoke.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was going to ask the same question to see the suggestions. Thanks for the thread scloyd
I layer every day. I like to load the first third of the bowl with Murray's era Royal Yacht and the top 2/3rds of the bowl with Five Brothers. The Five Brothers is a strong Burley that easily absorbs the added essence of the Royal Yacht as I smoke.
My mouth started watering while reading it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Embers got it, the parfait nomenclature. If you don't recognize it, it's borrowed from those dessert dishes with the layers of different flavors and colors of custard or whatever. Everyone should give it a try, with separate and distinct blends so you can try to tell when the ember shifts from one to the other. I haven't heard anyone rave about the experience, but just out of curiosity, you almost have to try it. I won't relate my experience, since it wasn't inspiring, but yours may be.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I've been known to put some so-so leaf in the bottom half of a bowl and cut a piece off a cigar to stick in the top.... sticking out a couple inches. Good for a nice long smoke.
I parfait fairly often. The best way to use up some tobacco you don't like a lot is to put it in the bottom of a bowl. Mixing it in with the better tobacco as some do seems to ruin the bowl.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Having moisture problems with PS LTF regardless of dry time, I began filling the heel of the pipe with some dry, bland, nondescript French pouch tobacco and putting the LTF on top. It helped immensely with the moisture problem.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.