Laurel Heights My Experiance is This Normal?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Spicy+food+cartoon.jpg

SOOO SPICY!!!
no seriously i gagged it was unbearable, whats the Deal?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
lol i only had a sample like a bowl full i think it was the Latvia it would be the first blend i smoke that has it. I will try others blends va/par and lat to see who the culprit was.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I'm still thinking it may be a physical issue with you
rothnh what do you know of my physical condition? Sure im a little over weight but its no reason to insult me like that geez..
im just kidding i get what your saying there are many variables to why i had this experience and yes having a fellow pipe smokers test it for me would be idle, however as i mentioned i have none of this specific blend at hand i received it in a trade as a sample.
so my best option would be to try different Latvia blends and see whats up, its funny that you mention Perique because that is exactly what i thought it was also until i looked up the blend on TR.com and found that there wasnt any in it just VA and Latvia. 8O i dunno
Tobacco review : GL Pease Laurel Heights

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
smokeybear:
I'd be shocked if you had this reaction due to latakia. Latakia's flavor is quite mild, even though it makes for a pungent smoke. And Greg Pease is usually very careful about spelling out exactly what's in a blend; I'd be equally shocked if there were any specific leaf that went unmentioned in his tin description. (That said, he says there is only a small amount of latakia in the blend at all.)
You didn't say, but is this your first Virginia blend?
One more thought: You said you got a sample of this in trade. Any chance you didn't actually get Laurel Heights?
Bob

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Tongue bite at it's finest.
And why are you saying Latvia? Threw me for a loop lol. Latakia. If you must abbrv. it just say "Lat"
I still havn't pinned down what bites me... but it's going to be a long painful road until I figure it out haha.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
rmbitter all of the above is a possibility, it came in a ziplock for all i know it may have been accidentally mis-labelled? i was trying to chalk it out to technique but i doubt it. I have had plenty of great smokes prior and my packing and smoking has become fairly consistent, even still i never had such terrible technique to the point my mouth was on fire and i was gagging.
I also smoked BH- Signature blend and i never had this experience. BH Signature
thats just Virginia so. the Latvia is looking like the problem.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
it came in a ziplock for all i know it may have been accidentally mis-labelled
Do you know the person from whom you got the sample? There may have been nothing "accidental" about it. It may even have been adulterated in some way.
I know that's kind of an extreme suggestion. But it sounds like your reaction was also extreme.
Bob

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
No No i highly doubt it was that i was sent many blends by the member on here and that was the only one that didn't agree with me. there really isnt else much to consider until i try another blend or if i can get more the same blend. i would love to retry it and eliminate all other variables.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I guess people will experience and describe tonge bite differently, but there is always some sort of pain involved.
If you prick your finger with a needle it WILL hurt and it WILL bleed. But how long the pain will last? That will change from person to person, as well as will the degree of pain suffered.
As soon as I stop puffing on the pipe the tongue bite fades pretty quickly. YMMV

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Spartan your right. it does very from person to person i just wanted to see if there were other reasons or if anyone else experienced a similar event. I never ruled out the possibility of tongue bite i would just like to get confirmation is all.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yup. Confirm away. I mistook tonguebite for "THIS MUST BE 100% PERIQUE OMG THIS IS HORRIBLE PEPPERY FIRE OF THE GODS."
Live and learn. :puffy:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
One more thought: You said you got a sample of this in trade. Any chance you didn't actually get Laurel Heights?
Do you know the person from whom you got the sample? There may have been nothing "accidental" about it. It may even have been adulterated in some way.
I know that's kind of an extreme suggestion. But it sounds like your reaction was also extreme.
Bob
I can assure you the sample came from a jar of Laurel Heights, tinned in 2010, opened in October of 2012 and residing in my cellar since. It was in no way adulterated, however I do have to admit that I crack into the jar every couple of weeks when the mood takes me.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Smokey, I have not heard of Laurel Heights being described as a spicebomb so you are probably in tongue bite territory.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It's not just you. I enjoy Laurel Heights, but I have to admit that something in it can have a tendency to irritate the back of my throat. Doesn't seem to bite, but it does put a tickle in the back of my throat. It's a once in a while tobacco for me but when I want it, nothing else will do. I sort of like the irritation every now and then. On the palate though I must say that Laurel Heights rarely bites me and presents as the classic light zesty citrusy virginia with some malt sugars, leather and a little peat. 'Tis a very unique tobacco.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Schmiitzbits im am confident that what I experienced had nothing to do with you my friend just as I am confident now that I think about it, that it was not tongue bite. I've experienced tongue bite before this was not of the sort unless there is some sort of mutant tongue bit out there I haven't heard of then No.
What I felt was more like eating a spoon full of cinnamon I was literally choking and coughing this is why I believe it was a reaction of some sort thankfully not a serious one.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Now here's a theory my wife just found out she has a throat infection 8O it could be quite possible that I had a minor one myself so minor that I didn't notice until I smoked my pipe.
That would explain a lot. Well my quest for an answer stops there that has to be the explanation since there's no perique and Latakia isn't meant to be spicy and it wasn't tongue bite and it was my first Latakia experience I didn't die from an allergic reaction.
Ok now I'll admit I feel relieved but also embarrassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.