PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have noticed that a good number of tobacco pouches have a latex pouch attached to the inside. Being a man of a certain age group, I have a real phobia about things done with latex, but I digress. Is there really any advantage to having the latex? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The pouch I currently use has a plastic liner with a mesh screen at the bottom to allow the 'dust' to separate from the tobacco... I like it.

I have had pouches with a latex liner and found that they collect more "gunk" than the plastic does. So, I avoid those now.
Just my two cents.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
never gave it a thought mine i guess mine has latex liner and it is made in china but it seams to hold my tobacco just fine use it about daily cleaned it once in the last six months i dont carry areos in it though mostly EMP or some of my burley blends
why is there some problem with latex i should be worried about i know i aint alergic to the stuff

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have one latex lined box pouch that folds and snaps closed. I don't use it much for a few reasons.
I'm normally not out where I can enjoy a bowl or three enough to keep extra tobacco with me. I also normally carry my 6 pipe leather bag that also holds a tin of tobacco. The last thing, is that while this is good for a temporary travel, it does tend to suck up the moisture real fast and gets gunked up from aromatics fast. I hate wasting tobacco and I tend to fill it up a little too much if I do use it.
However, I can see it being something of a great thing for if I chose to just take it and pocket my pipe and tools...Just as long as I remember to smoke the baccy that day, or put the leftovers back into the jar when I get home.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I use plastic lined one Myself I don't care for the latex. The latex one that I had, to Me seemed to crap up My baccy.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't know about the money thing... Although I generally buy one every few years and they tend to be less than $10. The thought about AROs vs. English in a latex pouch could be why I prefer plastic... I don't carry English blends or... VaPers for that matter when I'm out... I prefer to carry 1Q simply because people like the room note, and say pleasant things.
But, all in all I think it's probably just a matter of preference.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have had both Latex lined and plastic lined pouches and I didn't like either of those options. I prefer a plastic baggy!
As to the original question, I don't see any reason to be afraid of the Latex lining!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I preferred the latex lining until I Darn near killed myself. Seems that between using latex gloves as a cook and as a CNA I became VERY sensitive to latex.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've been on the lookout for a nice push, or baccyflap, the latex freaks me out, and that's why the search has been so fruitless. I feel strange and a bit skeezy when I take a rolled up ziplock bag outta my pocket and load my pipe from it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I put small (you can put 4-5 bowls worth in them but then you can't put more than two in the lined pouch I have) zip-lock bags in mine. This way I can have a couple different blends without having multiple pouches. I'm with bootleg, though. I rarely go anywhere that requires me to take more than a bowls-worth.
-Jason

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I cut up the latex pouch I had years ago and used the latex for a slingshot. Zip locks are great until the police pull you over and see them setting on your passenger seat.

Can't beat a good leather box pouch.

pipegoddess

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Wilmington, DE
Maybe it's a girlie thing... but I use tissue paper (the thin white wrapping paper kind) to line the inside of my zip-lock bags. I use the small bags and then put the small ones inside one big one and store it. I have some that I've had for three years and they are still moist and smell grand! :wink: When I need to take some... I double up on the 2x3" bags and line it with a piece of tissue paper and put it in a tin and away I go :puffy:

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Like some of you have mentioned, I keep mine in a ziploc then put it into my latex lined pouch. I can rotate my flavors daily without having ot clean the pouch. I keep my pouch with me in my pants cargo pocket all day so I can smoke when the opportunity presents itself.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I tend to put my tobacco for the day into a Ziplock bag then into the Brebbia lamb skin pouch lined with latex .Why because I dont always smoke the same thing and dont want to cross contaminate my blends . I have also used the el cheapo Yello Bolle roll up and they hold up well . For my table side there is a all leather box style pouch with no liner . It only gets English blends . All pouches should be cleaned useing a dry toothbrush to remove the tobacco fines .

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
like art pointed out one should be weary of over exposure to latex as it does commonly lead to developed allergies. also latex, if left in direct uv light, i have heard will break down into something quite harmful... not sure on the validity of that.

i personally just use empty tins, as i am always carrying around a backpack full of things i am convinced i have to have available to me at all times.

dkobakofm

Lurker
Jul 31, 2012
United States
I am allergic to latex.

i was using a latex rollup pouch for a few weeks; forgot about my allergy.

feels like my pallate is gone.

Enough said. I'll stick to using tins or jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.