PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Jerry finished the commission I placed with him about 3 - 4 weeks ago today. I love this shape and even though the briar was a bit stubborn on the blast, I think it was nicely done. Jerry, certainly is pleasure to work with. I really enjoy his craftsmanship and eye for detail.
Hello Chris,
The pipe is done. The stem inlay is a wood I haven’t seen before and got just for this pipe. It is spalted maple and some parts of the piece I got show the dark lines you normally see in spalted wood but the part I used looks more like burl which seems to go very well with the natural finish. Luckily the wood I used was very clean and I was able to get a nice natural finish, however the grain is mostly very tight and nature rebelled against doing a deep ring grain blast. I tried getting the blast as deep as I could and reached a point where I was just taking off material and not really achieving a better effect. I know a very deep ring grain blast is what you were looking for and I certainly understand if this doesn't work for you. I don’t want you to feel obligated to take it unless you really like it the way it is. Your satisfaction is the priority.
Anyway, enough said!
Hope you like it!
Specifications:

Length 5 ½”

Height 1 7/8

Chamber 13/16 x 1 ½”

Weight 46 grams

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Very nice! I like the detail to the slot, not many carvers flare out the opening like that.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Very nice! I like the detail to the slot, not many carvers flare out the opening like that.
That is the first thing I noticed on the pipe I bought from his website earlier this year. His stem-work is right up there with carvers that have been around a lot longer.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's very nice. Love everything about it. The stem looks fantastic and I, for one, like the depth of the blast because it goes well with the overall clean aesthetic of the pipe.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Chris
That pipe just looks fantastic! I love the shape and the color
As bigvan said, Rad has had a big influence
Congrats on thus one

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks guys, I am already considering a seven day set from Jerry if this one smokes any where near as well as my first(Jerry Crawford Bent Egg). I will certainly report back.
bigvan wrote:

I see a lot of Rad in that pipe. Very nice!
I agree, It is certainly noticeable. I didn't email Jerry any pics of my Rad Brandy when I commissioned this one so the two will differ somewhat(which is a good thing). This is Jerry's first take on a Brandy. You can definitely see the Rad Davis influence in the carving/stem style though. Here is an excerpt from from Jerry when he and I were discussing Rad's recent heart attack.
Jerry C. wrote:

I had a feeling something was up. I already sent him a get well soon mail. I also really respect Rad and his work. He has helped me out several times and I will always appreciate that.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
114_001.JPG

Richmond_2012_001.JPG

He makes a great brandy and his stem work is superb.
The mammoth ivory on these two are nice Chris but I especially like how he did the stem to stummel joint on yours.
Looking forward to seeing your seven day set!! He does a great Lovat and Dublin too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Like both pipes pictured very much. The blond blast has great lines. I appreciate the way both pipes

don't shout about their distinctive shaping and lines, but really stand out. I wouldn't feel self-conscious

about puffing on either of these at a pipe show or otherwise in public. The stem and band work is really

great, nicely done and brought together with the briar. If I could only have ten pipes, these would be two

that wouldn't get repetitious.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If I only make it to one show this year, I have to go back to NASPC. Gonna, miss ole Bill though.

I was so in awe back in 2012. and didn't have the guts to take it all in or sit down with this fantastic man. A first show is something indeed.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I really like these artisan pipes many of you share here, and this one is no exception!

Status
Not open for further replies.