PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Nice find. You're in Argentina, correct? Did you find it in Argentina? Just curiou

Nice find. You're in Argentina, correct? Did you find it in Argentina? Just curious.
most of my pipes, this one included, were found in Argentina. I bought a handful of pipes on eBay, but most are found at antique fairs in Argentina. Is there a reason why it seems strange to you?

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The dating is a little tough on this one. I previously stated that I thought it was from 1925, but it lacks the "Inner Tube" stamp I would have expected in 1925. Also, the fishtail mouthpiece suggests post-1920s. The numbers on the shank look like underlined 3 following the patent and underlined 5 closer to the Made In stamp. But the underline beneath the 3 looks too long, like maybe it was 13. The stem looks like it has TWO patent numbers to me. One may be 5861/12, which ran from 1913-1927, and the other 1343253/20, which ran from 1927-1942, while the patent on the shank is 116989/17, which ran from 1918-1934/5. The overlapping years would have been 1927-1934/5. So, I am guessing that this pipe was made in 1933 and sold in 1935. However, that doesn't quite work, either, since the "Inner Tube" stamp persisted until 1935. So, why would it be missing from a pipe made in 1933 and sold in 1935? Still, my best guess is now 1935.
Interesting. I'm not good on dating Dunhills.
Definitely not a fake. Explanation(s) of the assorted stamping details will forever be conjecture. Hardly unique in that way, though. Inconsistencies abound on legit specimens. (I imagine keeping everything straight all day every day in Dunhill's small stamping room---a bench and chair surrounded on all sides by hundreds of stamps arranged like library shelves---was literally impossible for a human to manage).

The black dot is consistent with the pipe's size and shank shape. A small Canadian's stem material thickness at the "dot point" is about 1.5 - 2.0 mm... Drilling a hole that does NOT go through to the airway would take a lot of care and paying attention. In the course of a batch several assuredly did. Of those, this one was smoked hard enough and long enough for the "wick trick" to occur.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Not strange at all. I was just thinking that there were thousands of Nazi war criminals that moved to Argentina after the war. My imagination got the best of me. I sometimes try to imagine who may of owned an estate pipe. That's all. Nice pipe.
Definitely need to swab it for DNA. We may need to 'cancel" that pipe.
(A very nice find, very nice indeed)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely need to swab it for DNA. We may need to 'cancel" that pipe.

But wait... there's MORE!

An English company made the object... an object that could conceivably BE purchased by a German who might one day flee to Argentina....

Meaning the entirety of England, both in the abstract and territorial sense, should be cancelled as well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Meaning the entirety of England, both in the abstract and territorial sense, should be cancelled as well.
That's a good point.
The pipe was found in Argentina. A lot Germans moved to Argentina. A lot of Germans were Nazis. The pipe was British. Probably belonged to a German. Who was probably a Nazi. Which makes it a Nazi pipe. A British Nazi pipe.
I'll mark the British down as "Probably Nazis" then.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's a good point.
The pipe was found in Argentina. A lot Germans moved to Argentina. A lot of Germans were Nazis. The pipe was British. Probably belonged to a German. Who was probably a Nazi. Which makes it a Nazi pipe. A British Nazi pipe.
I'll mark the British down as "Probably Nazis" then.

Britzis?

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Not strange at all. I was just thinking that there were thousands of Nazi war criminals that moved to Argentina after the war. My imagination got the best of me. I sometimes try to imagine who may of owned an estate pipe. That's all. Nice pipe.
Yes and all Americans are cowboys. Thats plain false.
Eichmann's spectacular capture in 1960, although far from what the Netflix movie tells, cemented the idea of a Nazi paradise that never existed. It is estimated that 180 war criminals took refuge in Argentina. The vast majority arrived with apocryphal documents issued by European governments and lived in hiding and without protection. They came to Argentina because they could hide in the enormous tide of immigrants, hundreds of thousands per year (4 million in the postwar period), who arrived in Argentina. Eichmann lived in a suburb, his house had no running water, no telephone, no electricity, and was on a dirt road. Few privileges if I may say. On the other hand, who did receive privileges, support and financing (among others) was Wernher Von Braun, the scientist who created the B1 and B2 bombs that killed thousands of English and was essential to put the USA on the moon.
Obviously all those who emigrated to the USA were democratic Germans.....

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I think it's time to dial this back. Clearly, @Alejo R. doesn't appreciate the jokes.
Argentina is a very advanced country and home to Buenos Aires, one of the world's great cosmopolitan cities. A tobacconist friend from Buenos Aires visited Chicago this fall. I learned a lot about Argentina while he was here, including the fact that British pipes are fairly popular there.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We love Argentina. The shrimp, the Falklands. And don't forget the Tango! An impassioned expression in dance of conflicted relationships. Of wanted, yet unwanted guests, who can not leave, because they have no home to return to! Where DO we go now, Max?

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Yeah, but it's confusing down there. Did you know they have a different word for everything?

Definitely some cool hills in the south, though:

View attachment 125530
From the northest point to the southeast we have the Andes.
Tallest mountain in the continent, the Aconcagua is in Argentina.
In the picture you post is the difficult mountain in the world, el Cerro Torre del masizo Fitz Roy.
2000 meter 90 degrees granite wall.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If this thread turned for the worse due to my possible Nazi pipe comment, then I'm sorry. I meant no harm.

Prior to my Was the pipe found in Argentina? comment, it was stated that date of the pipe was probably 1925. I was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be interesting if the pipe was purchased in the 1920's by a German who then after the war fled to Argentina with his pipes and continued to smoke them. Seventy five years later, Alejo finds it. That would be something, right?

We see so many cool estate pipes here on the forum and I think many of us fantasize or imagine it's past life, who smoked it and where...

@Alejo R. I apologize if I offended you. I did not mean to.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
If this thread turned for the worse due to my possible Nazi pipe comment, then I'm sorry. I meant no harm.

Prior to my Was the pipe found in Argentina? comment, it was stated that date of the pipe was probably 1925. I was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be interesting if the pipe was purchased in the 1920's by a German who then after the war fled to Argentina with his pipes and continued to smoke them. Seventy five years later, Alejo finds it. That would be something, right?

We see so many cool estate pipes here on the forum and I think many of us fantasize or imagine it's past life, who smoked it and where...

@Alejo R. I apologize if I offended you. I did not mean to.
No offense. I like to clarify some things.
Dunhill pipes were and are sold in Argentina. it was probably bought here.
This relates to why I smoke a pipe. I grew up in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, in the far south. At that time it was very similar to what it is to live in a small town. A few times a year my dad had to do paperwork in the city and he would take me. The excursion consisted of breakfast in a cafe and a ride in the subway. In each subway station there was a tobacco shop and I loved them. Some of them lasted until the end of the century and they had me as a client.