PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chs110

Lurker
Feb 25, 2015
I started regularly smoking a pipe in my late 50s after smoking cigars for years and was curious if there are other later starters out there? If so, what age did you start? What compelled you to start? What did your friends and family have to say about it?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I started about 9 months ago at age 59. I had a pipe about 30 years ago and very seldom smoked it. As for my family...wife doesn't mind as long as I smoke on the enclosed back porch which I converted into my own smoking space. My son and son-in-law smoke pipes also.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm 55 and I started on September 13, 2011. My grandfather smoked a pipe and my father smoked cigars. People often ask if I smoke a pipe to be like Sherlock Holmes.....

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was 37. I have smoked cigarettes since I was 13. Society seems geared for cigarette smoking, or at least it did back then. Rat race, short smoke, rat race, short smoke, race, smoke, race, smoke and so on.

Pipe smoking is something else, and I would like to have fallen for it earlier, but at least I did eventually.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'm 59 and started about a year and a half ago. I smoked cigars occasionally prior to that. A buddy brought a pipe to a fishing trip and I was hooked. The pipe just fits my style. My vegan partner gives me the hairy eyeball when I pull out the pipe. Being a nurse, she gives me grief about health issues so we have interesting discussions. I don't tell her how many pipes I have acquired...

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
Started at 66. A bowl or 2 a week. Still trying to get the hang of it. So far Iam liking Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Lanes 1Q.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
Back in 2010 the city implemented a no-smoking ban. I didn't smoke then but the thought that no one could smoke was too much. So I started out with cigars and in 2012 started the slippery slope of pipes, tobacco and all else that entails. The pipe never caught on for me. Now at the end of 2018/2019 I'm trying to make a serious go of it with the pipes at the age of 59.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Long timer here. Forty-four here and have been smoking a pipe since seventeen.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I'm a late bloomer as well. I average 3 to 4 bowls a day. The wife likes the aromatics and indulges my TAD. My closet has racks on the wall holding my jars and my armoire stores about 30 lbs of tobacco that I have decided I like. I started smoking a pipe about 3 months ago.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I started when I was 46 now 56. I got into pipes as a less expensive hobby to cigars. I have way too expensive tastes in cigars.

Sep 18, 2015
Started at 49, five years ago.

Smoked cigarettes most of my life but finally gave en up about 8 years ago.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Smoked cigs from 13 to 46. Health issues led me to switch to vape for 2 1/2 years and I switched to the pipe a year and a half ago. I'll be 50 in a few weeks.
jay-roger.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have been smoking thorough all my years and been on and off with pipes but switched fully into the pipes some 3 years ago, should have done this way earlier though.As a former Cigarette-Ryo smoker must say the switching progress itself wasn't that easy to me.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
I started around 15, too, Hap, for about a year, on the sly, of course--Half and Half in a Dr. Grabow. Then, in my 30s, for two or three years I smoked a green Medico and a Dr. Grabow with Borkum Riff blends. Finally, I took up smoking a pipe a few months ago at age 66 with an MM cob, then a Savinelli basket, then a Rossi estate, a Peterson, a Cayuga, and a couple Falcons, smoking with C & D and GLP English blends, with a couple of aromatics for variety. I don't see myself giving pipes up again, unless health issues or the unavailability of tobacco make it necessary.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Started at age 50 not long after my father passed. He was a pipe smoker and I have such good memories of his pipes and the smell of Borkum Riff (way back when it was good tobacco). I picked up the pipe in memory of him and came to enjoy it. I never smoked any form of commercial tobacco before that, don't value nicotine and only smoke for it's slow relaxing nature and the beauty of good pipes. I always smoke when I'm by myself so receive very little feedback.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Started in my 30s, then found that my wife's grandfather was a long time pipesmoker. He mostly just does bulk vanilla tobacco. Trying to get him into some of the better blends out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.