PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane

Lurker
Aug 28, 2010
I just bought some Balkan mix from J.J. Fox's shop in St. James Square - it was out of a tub so I'm not entirely sure who blended it - and I have to say I really like the latakia tobacco in it: very tasty. Has anyone tried pure latakia?

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Yep. Gave me heartburn. I have some of C&D's Pirate Kake that does the same thing. It's reported to bge 70% latakia.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Latakia is like a spice and should be used to add flavor to other tobaccos. I don't think you will like it straight. If you want to be adventerous try a mix of 50% latakia and 50% perique. Although I don't smoke it often I actually kind of like it. Be advised, it is a serious smoke!
Another thought: I never throw away a tobacco because I don't like the taste. I try blending it with others... usually ones I don't like either, and sometimes I come up with something pretty good. Go figure!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I do smoke some heavy Latakia blends in the cooler weather and

enjoy them. I've not tried smoking it straight and have no plans

to do so. Still, both Cyprian and Syrian leaf are tasty to me.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Old Ironside is pretty Latakia heavy. Thats about as heavy as I remembered liking that much Latakia but I did like it!

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I agree with fred, it is great in the cold (and i know, living in potsdam ny). I personally like frog mortons on the town, it has a nice latakia spice to it. This i my go to oriental english due to it's smooth earthy taste.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was given a pound a few years ago by my mother in law. She learned that I liked Latakia from my wife. Neither of which have any real knowledge of tobaccos.

I have been nursing that pound ever since. I occasionally dip into it. It has mellowed considerably with the passage of time. It is actually very mild.

I like it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.