PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I had a recent order sit in the box for awhile, maybe a week or so (long story). All the tobacco I ordered was bulk so it was in ziploc bags. The VA blend I ordered, McClelland Matured Cake, took on the smell of latakia from 2 other blends. I took the VA out of the bag and let it air out for 30min and smoked it in a cob. I could still taste the latakia. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the smell/taste of latakia in my VA blend? All tobaccos have been jarred up
Thanks,
-Murf

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Bummer! I understand in this case the Lat transfer was out of your control. I'm a big fan of Latakia, but I don't want my sweet aros contaminated with the heavy, smokey flavor of the Lat I love so much. I hope after a time the undesired aroma will dissipate, but in the future it might just be better to make separate orders.
Sorry to hear about your frustrating situation, good luck!

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Did you smoke any? I wonder if you could taste the Latakia or if it was just an odor transfer without affecting taste.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Hmmm, I always keep LAT away from all my other baccy - even if I'm putting it in my leather pipe holder for the day. Stuff just creeps into everything, sorry man.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I did in fact smoke some and could still taste the Patagonia. Oh well. I might try airing it out some more like on a plate. If that doesn't work I will just mix in some more VA

W

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's something to remember when you order blends not to order Latakia blends with others that might

be vulnerable in this way, especially with bulks, especially if you are someone blessed with extra sensitive

sensory gear to detect the Latakia in the non-Lat blends. Personally, I do not have that sensitive taste or

smell. I don't designate Latakia pipes, and I have never detected any transfer of flavor or scent. But rather

than stubbornly insist that it doesn't happen, I'll take your word for it. I think you may actually be lucky and

have especially acute senses, from which you may get extra enjoyment along with a little annoyance. I think

the taste of Latakia in the non-Lat blends may fade in several days or weeks. To turn the situation around, if

a blender tried to imbue a blend with flavor simply by putting bags of Latakia nearby, I don't think it would

be strong enough for most people to detect and certainly wouldn't be sustained.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I doubt I'd be able to taste the 'hint' of the Latakia if it transferred from the plastic bag to another as I have the taste buds of 60 grit sandpaper. As a matter of fact I do not dedicate any of my pipes to a particular blend as I've never experienced any 'ghosting'. Although sealed plastic bags are a convenient and a understandable way of shipping tobacco they are air permeable and are quite worthless for storing tobacco. As for Enerdale I wouldn't let that tobacco be allowed in my garage in a NASA approved air lock let alone my home! I made that mistake once when I first tried it and the stench of it permeated my house and a cob (which I got rid of) for three days before I tossed it out.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Plastic bags are gas permeable and although I know of no other way to solve your issue other than to suggest seperate shipping boxes. It's a tough call. Maybe do a large order of lat blends one month, VA's the next and so on?

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I dont have a regular ordering schedul so I guess I will just have to be more mindful of that next time. Whenever that may be.
Tobacco is crispy and still has that latakia smell. Oh well. I only got a few oz of it

Status
Not open for further replies.