PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I've always smoked aromatics, and only aromatics. I once tried a Latakia blend some years ago. I don't remember what it was or where I got it, but it was a house blend of some sort. It was God-awful. That was the last time I smoked anything with Latakia in it, and for years whenever the subject came up I made it a point to mention how much I hated the stuff. Then I found a tobacco shop this past Thursday while in NC on vacation.
There's a very nice, friendly pipe shop in Wilmington (Davis and Son Tobacconists) that has a wonderful selection of pipes from Dunhills to basket pipes. The owner also makes his own tobacco blends. One of my sons wanted to try an English blend, so while he was sticking his nose in a variety of tobacco jars I was browsing the shop. My son decided to take home a couple of ounces each of two English blends, one called 'Round Midnite and the other Trafalgar Mixture (supposedly a knockoff of Balkan Sobranie). When we got back to the house he lit up one of the blends and began singing its praises. I don't know if it was genuine curiosity on my part or the Drambuie, but just for yuks and giggles I broke out one of my cobs and stuffed the bowl with 'Round Midnite (I wasn't going to crap up one of my good briars with Latakia). From the first light to the very bottom of the bowl I was mesmerized. I'm not going to go into detail about the experience, but all I can say is that I wish I hadn't given up on Latakia so quickly...I missed years of enjoyment. I've been stealing my son's tobacco, so it's already time to order some more. Being a Boswell fan I plan to try some of his blends as well the next time I get down there.
BTW, when I got to the shop in Wilmington I had no intention of buying a pipe, which of course meant that I left with a new pipe. I picked up a Savinelli Oscar Lucite, which I always considered ugly from the web photos, but actually are quite nice in reality. I'll get a photo up in another thread.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I thought they went out of business, nice to hear there's another one, I tried a differint one in Wilmington and all they had was bad house blends and a couple good English's.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lovely stuff, latakia. I moved from aromatics to latakia blends decades ago, and have never regretted it. I occasionally buy a tin of an aro, but not often. I want to taste tobacco, not candy.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Lovely stuff, latakia.

So true. Aside from the taste, I'm surprised at just how mellow the stuff is. There seems to be none of the harshness on relights all the way to the bottom of the bowl like I experience with aromatics, and I don't get a nasty aftertaste either. I don't know if that's characteristic of Latakia, or just the particular blends I've tried.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have had almost the same experience. I too am now a Lat lover but I also like my Aro's.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Congrats on discovering something new that you like.
As has already been mentioned, Larry's Blend is excellent ... and I also encourage you to try SPC Plum Pudding, SHPC Great Hiatus, Justforhim Shortcut to Mushrooms, and McClelland's Legends.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
"I want to taste tobacco, not candy"
I'm with Jud on this one. I stay away from Berry Cobblers, tuty fruities, and sweet candies when I want to enjoy a man taste. I'm waiting for Ben and Jerry to whip up some frozen Billy Budd and serve it to me in a Sav Hercules. Then perhaps I'll reconsider.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried some aromatics again last week, but just don't enjoy (Irish Mist, RLP-6, 1Q). I gave them to my daughters boyfriend, who was visiting and all to happy to take them home. Is that Wilmington DE? (oops, see you were in NC...)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Welcome to the Dark Side!
dark_sisters.jpg

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Thanx for the comments and suggestions. I plan to order up some more of the stuff from NC, plus some of Larry's Blend that seems so popular. The next time I'm in PA I'll try to get to Boswell's to try some of his blends (I've heard good things about Northwoods). And just when I thought I'd settled on a regular stable of tobaccos...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Some Latakia has always been in my blends as well as Perique. I read years ago that one of the Syrian producers cured his tobacco over smouldering camel dung, instead of sun curing and then further curing over smoking woods and herbs like the majority is. I don't have any idea if he's still making it, but I always think of that and smile when I lite-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.