72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Gawith make loads of different ryo blends and one of them contains latakia.

Auld Kendal Gold Latakia Tobacco:

"The Auld Kendal Gold Latakia is a brand new blend introduced in 2016 for the hand rolling connoisseur looking for something a little different. The blend uses the unrivaled Gold Virginia that Gawith and Hoggarth are famous for blended carefully with a discreet addition of the fire cured Latakia leaf. The result is a clean smooth smoking tobacco with smokey undertones coming from the Latakia.
All of the tobacco’s in the Auld Kendal range are very clean, containing very little of the stem and produce a very natural flavour without the chemical harshness present in many modern tobaccos ."

I've never tried it as I don't like latakia.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Gawith make loads of different ryo blends and one of them contains latakia.

Auld Kendal Gold Latakia Tobacco:

"The Auld Kendal Gold Latakia is a brand new blend introduced in 2016 for the hand rolling connoisseur looking for something a little different. The blend uses the unrivaled Gold Virginia that Gawith and Hoggarth are famous for blended carefully with a discreet addition of the fire cured Latakia leaf. The result is a clean smooth smoking tobacco with smokey undertones coming from the Latakia.
All of the tobacco’s in the Auld Kendal range are very clean, containing very little of the stem and produce a very natural flavour without the chemical harshness present in many modern tobaccos ."

I've never tried it as I don't like latakia.

That sounds really interesting! I enjoy other Gawith tobaccos so I'd love to get my hands on these! Too bad it seems on a cursory google search they're not available in the US.

Reactions: anotherbob

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Thanks for the tip!

So far what I've done is let the latakia dry on my counter for a few hours this afternoon. It got pretty dry and I crumpled it up into little square bits, not dusty, but very crispy.

As @Jaylotw recommended I took a single cigarette's worth of the PS tobacco and sprinkled just a pinch of the latakia, like the amount of salt you'd put on your potatoes. I rolled it up and I'm letting it sit for a bit to "marry" and I'm going to smoke it tomorrow. I'll report back how it goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it enhances the cigarette, your experience is encouranging.
Just for clarification, I’d use a small pinch of Latakia in a baggie, maybe an ounce and a half, of VA blender and found that to be plenty. Not very scientific I know!

Reactions: lightxmyfire
Jun 9, 2018
England
That sounds really interesting! I enjoy other Gawith tobaccos so I'd love to get my hands on these! Too bad it seems on a cursory google search they're not available in the US.

Sorry, but I've no idea of its availability in the US. With such a big country and quite a few tobacco companies you'd think there'd be something similar.

They also make this one:

Gawith Hoggarth Auld Kendal Gold Perique

"An easy smoking tobacco blended from top quality bright Virginia leaf and a touch of Lousiana Perique to give a fruity, slightly vinegary aroma."

I'm going to try some of their Turkish blend at some point as there is no longer a pre-made Turkish cigarette sold in the UK apart from Camel Blue, which are too mild for my tastes.
I'll buy some to try and if I like it I'll get a half sensible tubing machine and make some up.

Gawith also sell a lot of different plain and flavoured blends of shag tobacco that many people use as ryo as the tax is quite a bit less on pipe tobacco.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Just for clarification, I’d use a small pinch of Latakia in a baggie, maybe an ounce and a half, of VA blender and found that to be plenty. Not very scientific I know!
Uh oh, I missed the whole baggie part. Well too late now for that one roll, wish me luck! If you never hear from me again you know what happened!

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Sorry, but I've no idea of its availability in the US. With such a big country and quite a few tobacco companies you'd think there'd be something similar.

They also make this one:

Gawith Hoggarth Auld Kendal Gold Perique

"An easy smoking tobacco blended from top quality bright Virginia leaf and a touch of Lousiana Perique to give a fruity, slightly vinegary aroma."

I'm going to try some of their Turkish blend at some point as there is no longer a pre-made Turkish cigarette sold in the UK apart from Camel Blue, which are too mild for my tastes.
I'll buy some to try and if I like it I'll get a half sensible tubing machine and make some up.

Gawith also sell a lot of different plain and flavoured blends of shag tobacco that many people use as ryo as the tax is quite a bit less on pipe tobacco.

no worries! Totally not holding that against you! And yeah you would think that, I think the market here has such high demand for those camels you mentioned and other similar things anything unique or of higher quality doesn’t make it. Or is very difficult to find.

the perique version sounds interesting too. Maybe if it’s not to much trouble in the future I could twist your arm into mailing a pack or two my way. I’d cover the costs of course!

Jun 9, 2018
England
Uh oh, I missed the whole baggie part. Well too late now for that one roll, wish me luck! If you never hear from me again you know what happened!
On the blurb for the Gawith Perique ryo it says they use a touch of Perique and I'd guess it'll be a similar situation with their Latakia ryo.

Probably your best bet is to use a light hand when adding the Latakia then increase until it's to your taste.

Jun 9, 2018
England
no worries! Totally not holding that against you! And yeah you would think that, I think the market here has such high demand for those camels you mentioned and other similar things anything unique or of higher quality doesn’t make it. Or is very difficult to find.

the perique version sounds interesting too. Maybe if it’s not to much trouble in the future I could twist your arm into mailing a pack or two my way. I’d cover the costs of course!

PM sent.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I heard recently of an old brand of cigarettes that actually had latakia in it. It piqued my curiosity so I picked up some C&D blending Latakia and a pouch of PS Norweigan cigarette tobacco.

I'm drying out the latakia like crazy and I'm going to add it in small amounts at a time and see what happens. Has anyone ever had a cigarette with latakia? or roll your own like this? any tips or recommendations?
I had a party last year, and there was a youngster who rolled cogs there. Happened to have his roller with, and he was smoking gambler menthol ?. He asked if he could try some of my G&H #20. It wasn't bad, but little did I know, he had a menthol filter as well ?

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I had a party last year, and there was a youngster who rolled cogs there. Happened to have his roller with, and he was smoking gambler menthol ?. He asked if he could try some of my G&H #20. It wasn't bad, but little did I know, he had a menthol filter as well ?

Oh man, yeah menthol was never my bag either. Early in my smoking days; mid-highschool, I tried a couple of different brands of menthol and never enjoyed them. Had a girlfriend at the time who did, which was nice since we rarely cut into each other's stash of cigarettes, which is more important I guess when acquiring them is difficult ?

• Haha
Reactions: BSticks

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
The results are in! I smoked the latakia cigarette and survived! It was actually quite enjoyable!

As some of you mentioned the body was much fuller from the stand-alone PS rolling tobacco and the flavor was nice but subtle. I could taste/smell more of the latakia if I retro-haled/treated it more like a pipe/cigar. The Norwegian blend and the latakia melded really well together and the smoke was sweet, with a little incense, smokey latakia background.

Overall it was a really enjoyable cigarette, the wife really liked it too. I think I will be rolling more of these on the very occasional times when I have a craving for a cigarette over the pipe.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Oh man, yeah menthol was never my bag either. Early in my smoking days; mid-highschool, I tried a couple of different brands of menthol and never enjoyed them. Had a girlfriend at the time who did, which was nice since we rarely cut into each other's stash of cigarettes, which is more important I guess when acquiring them is difficult ?
I myself have only taken a 2 or 3 puffs of cigarettes. I love the smell, and definitely could smoke them. But I picked up a pipe put of the blue and fell in love immediately. 22 and I dont plan on turning away!

Benzyboy

Lurker
Aug 28, 2021
I heard recently of an old brand of cigarettes that actually had latakia in it. It piqued my curiosity so I picked up some C&D blending Latakia and a pouch of PS Norweigan cigarette tobacco.

I'm drying out the latakia like crazy and I'm going to add it in small amounts at a time and see what happens. Has anyone ever had a cigarette with latakia? or roll your own like this? any tips or recommendations?
Hello, I'm new member here, and really glad to see this thread because i did the same thing, mixing some latakia to my Ryo cig. I just want to know is latakia made just for pipe ? And is it safe to inhale like in a normal cigarette ? I know nothing safe when we talk about tobacco.. im just curious..
Please reply if someone have information thanks..

Regards.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
As far as Dutch type Dark Shag (zwaare Shag)Cigarette tobacco goes, all these are mainly composed of Dark Fired Kentucky/Paraguain type Dark fired Burley,
Sounds fascinating! Do these cigarettes have the filler that I think of with, "normal" (LOL--I'm PROVENCIAL AND IGNORANT!), read "US") cigarettes?
kindly
mike

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've tried rolling many different pipe tobaccos into cigs. Nothing was ever good enough. However I just bought a rolling machine again, to use up some Ryback gold that I don't care for in my pipe. That's the closest I've come to a real cig so far.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Whenever I end up with a blend that I'm not overly fond of, regardless of blend type, I roll them up into some lil pipe tobacco doobies to have on break.
Some of the blends I dont care for in a pipe, actually make very nice cigarettes. C&D Bayou Night is one of them.