PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'm sure that most of you will have some good suggestions for me, but I have 1 disclaimer:
I don't enjoy Dunhill 965
I got this in bulk from a local shop, and was not impressed. Really liked the smell, did not like the taste. I still might try the tin version, to see if it's any better.
I'm new to Latakia blends, but so far, I have enjoyed Nording Foxhound, and H&H Cerberus
http://pipesandcigars.com/foxhound.html#.UV20hk0iu00

http://pipesandcigars.com/international.html#.UV20ak0iu00
I have a nice Savinelli Morino bulldog for Latakia blends, but it hasn't gotten much use. I find myself smoking either aromatic, or certain VA flakes (but am also a newbie to flake tobacco).
I have another cheap bulldog that I've designated as "English" (English bulldogs, get it?)
I'm just looking to expand my palate.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
A mild blend with Latakia you might enjoy is Frog Morton On The Town. Another of my favorites which I consider a milder blending of Latakia is McClelland's 3 Oaks which contains Syrian Latakia which I find sweeter . You might also want to check out Peter Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme which is very nice, smooth and mild. Cheers!

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Now you're talking my language!
If you want something that will really get your buds going, try Newminister English oriental. Lot of lat going on and other favors that are awesome.
Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River & Plum Pudding are good picks as well.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
A more gentle helping of Latakia can be found with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader is another I enjoy and doesn't have the "soapy" feel of their Lakeland blends.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not a fan of Dunhill 965 either. I am with you on the Nording Foxhound; it's an excellent blend and Plum Pudding is definitely a winner.
A recent surprise for me has been Sutliff's, Bosphorus Cruise and at $6.95 (from Pipes & Cigars) a tin you can't beat it.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! Looks like a good start

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Another good mild English is Ashton Consumate Gentleman. It backs of on the strenght without adding extra sweetness, so you can still find and appreciate the latakia flavors that are there, just in smaller quantities. Also not very strong in the nicotene department.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I know what you mean about Dunhill's My Mixture 965. For me this blend is too high in nicotine. Try GL Pease Westminister for a delightful English blend or Dunhill's London Mixture which is lower in nicotine that 965 but a really nutty sweet English blend. Finally, one of my favorites in GL Pease's Loganda which is a latakia, oriental and some Virginia all done with a toasted English blend.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I was at the B&M sniffing, next time I'll bring a pipe and try stuff.

I smelled 10 Downing Street described as a "A full bodied English with bright virginias, latakia, perique." It smelled very spicy and very smokey. I got scared, being a newbie and all. So, I went with Lord Nelson described as a

"Smooth light English blended with african, turkish, latakia and Virginia ribbon." It smelled "lighter" but not in a wimpy way. It didn't smell as smokey. I just had a bowl tonight. I liked it. It's smooth, a little sweet and spicy but not overpoweringly so. It didn't bite at all. I'm glad I tried it as my very first English blend. It makes me want to be brave and try the 10 Downing Street. Hubby says he likes the smell, it reminds him of sitting around the camp fire. Which makes sense because both the 10 Downing Street and Lord Nelson reminded me of the summer days when we would smoke ribs just that the 10 Downing Street smelled like we were right next to the smoker and the Lord Nelson was more like we were walking by the house while the smoker was going. Both times you think to yourself "Man! That smells so good!" I hope this was helpful :)

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Too many newbies relate latakia as strong. It's not. Latakia is mild on the strength scale, but near the top on flavor. It's an acquired taste, for sure though.

I kinda' like it. And, maybe I really lucked out in having two really good tobacconists in my area. They really helped me pick out most of my tobacco and they recommended some really good tobacco. And like wine, coffee and bourbon, how can you hate it if you taste a really good one? :)

The only bad tobacco I had I chose on my own.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I don't like anything Zifandel.

I said that too because I always equated Zinfandel with a Beringer's or Sutter Home's and thought they were awful. Then I tried 7 Deadly Zins by Michael David Winery in California. If you like a Merlot or Shiraz you will like this. I just had some the other night with a chocolate tobacco (because Merlots and Shirazs taste good with dark chocolate, especially Dove for some reason) and the chocolate tobacco went really well with this. I was pleasantly pleased. :)

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Add any flavor added to a coffee makes my upchuck. Bourbon on the smokey/peaty side makes me wish it wasn't trying to be a single malt scotch, failing at both that and trying to be a bourbon at the same time.
I think flavored coffees are just horrible. Flavored coffees are ruined coffees that wouldn't have sold any other way. My new favorite bourbon is Wild Turkey's Honey Bourbon. I'll soak cherries in it for about 2 or 3 months. The color red is beautiful. I want to paint my smoking room that color. My Favorite single malt is Red Breast.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey Misu it sounds like you were at Smokers Haven in Buffalo. I picked up some 10 Downing street there before xmas. It's good stuff. The guy there told me they blended it themselves but I'm not sure - could be some sort of Lane or Altadis bulk. In any event, I enjoyed it.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Hey Misu it sounds like you were at Smokers Haven in Buffalo. I picked up some 10 Downing street there before xmas. It's good stuff. The guy there told me they blended it themselves but I'm not sure - could be some sort of Lane or Altadis bulk. In any event, I enjoyed it.

Yes! That's where I went. Nice place. I am going to pick up some 10 Downing Street. As soon as my wallet comes off of lock down :oops: Luckily, that's right near my daughter. Her baby is due in the next couple of weeks, so I'll be in the neighbor hood :mrgreen:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It is indeed the same place Roth, its a great shop. Next time I'm back down in Buffalo I'll definitely he stocking up

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Frog Morton On The Town is good, I'm smoking some right now. Mac Baren Plumcake is very stong latakia flavored. Nice smoke too. Dunhill Night Cap, Early Morning Pipe, those are the ones I've tried and I like them. I do get tired of smoking latakia flavors and switch it up to aros and VaPer's (VaPers being new to me and I adore the taste of them!)

Status
Not open for further replies.