Latakia bitter burnout?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
It seems if I smoke alot of Lat bombs like Lancer Slices or Billy Bud I lose the smokey flavor and get a bitter taste. Anyone else experience this?

deathmetal

Preferred Member
Jul 21, 2015
Sort of like sound... too much loud and everything peaks. This is why I opine that Latakia is better in a condimental role, maybe under 5% of a blend.

deathmetal

Preferred Member
Jul 21, 2015
Cosmic is always worth listening to. My guess is that he is correct in this case, -or- he ate at Taco Bell too much.

jabo

Jan 26, 2016
Love my lat.although I do try to mix in other blends. Haven't ever noticed any strange tastes but will keep that in mind.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah , I used to smoke mostly aro's but now I enjoy alot of heavy lat mixtures. Its ok though forces me to mix things up I guess :)

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've been smoking mostly VA's & Vipers for months and just cracked a tin of Old San Francisco. Wow,LATAKIA ! The first bowl was almost overpowering. After a couple of days/bowls the taste seems to be mellowing.

fitzy

Preferred Member
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I definitely build up a tolerance to it and it loses some of it's strength so I take a break once in a while and when I come back to lat it's stronger.

judcole

Preferred Member
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoke a fair amount of lat blends, but I don't smoke anything back to back - I much prefer giving my palate time to recover.

Have you tried sipping on a glass of water while you smoke?

hakchuma

Preferred Member
Jan 13, 2014
I alternate a month of aromatics, a month of Latakia, a month of straight vaginia and/or vapor. I literally must else everything starts to loose its luster.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks guys that makes me feel better, I'll just lay off the heavy lats for a bit. Got some Black Irish x drying out as we speak :)

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Helena, Alabama
No one ever mentions Biotene any more. I know that this mouthwash has changed its formula a bit, but it still the best way, for me, to cleanse my palate. It's worth a try. I rinse with this just before I brush teeth 2-3 times a day. And, sometimes when I get a bit of a rough tongue or taste overload, I will rinse with this and fir up another pipe. YMMV

macaroon

Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
One of the benefits of smoking infrequently (only a few times a week, in my case) is that there really isn't any chance for your taste buds to become worn out. I love camp fires and wood smoke, and that translates directly to my love of latakia. My favorite blend of the few that I have tried so far is Star of the East, which claims to have 50% latakia content. Delicious!

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Mmmm Star of the East, another great lat bomb where the virginias shine through.

shutterbugg

Preferred Member
Nov 18, 2013
I find Latakia gets bitter if smoked too fast/hot. I also find I burnout on any blend if I smoke it exclusively, like to change it up.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I think rotating between tobacco blend genres improves the taste of everything. Two bowls in a row of anything probably won't give optimal taste, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.