PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2014
I love Latakia, from blends with just a hint to smokey lat heavy blends . As for cilantro I do like it, but not if its applied with a heavy hand.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Tonights dinner, Indonesian five spice chicken

Before adding cilantro

and after

There is no such thing as too much.

Time for a bowl a nice solid English with just enough Latakia, Ashtons Consummate Gentleman.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I don't see the connection between latakia and cilantro. Some people like both, some like neither, some like one but not the other.

You may as well try to find a correlation between latakia and curry, or latakia and hot sauce, etc.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Marcel:
I adore Latakia and smoke most of its heftier blends.
But, cilantro? Damn, pard. A little bit of that mown hay goes a long, long way with me.
I live in a Midwestern city with a high Hispanic population. We've got great Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants but, sadly, every damned one of them goes top heavy with cilantro. Even our SE Asia joints queer the pho with cilantro.
Bring on the Lat but could I just have a pinch of that green stuff, please?
Fnord

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think I've just confirmed that major latakia floats my boat. More trials to come.

Perique may be another fav, but more experience needed.
And I had a nice salsa tonight with modest amount of cilantro, so it did not overpower the tomatoes and onions, but was apparent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Latakia and cilantro as accent flavors not as principles. I like MacBaren's Latakia Flake, Nat Sherman 536, and even Nightcap, because though they have varying degrees of Latakia, they don't bank the whole blend on it. Like cilantro, it can set up the other flavors on hand and provide a contrast and emphasis. I feel the same way about Perique, and I think dark fired leaf can serve the same purpose. But for those who love a Lat bomb, I say have at it. T'would be a dull world if we all thought alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.