PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I can tolerate Latakia, just as I can tolerate a bit of Cilantro but I find each overwhelms the blend or dish they are in and pushes out the other flavors.
I’ve tried Hearth & Home’s House of Lords, GL Pease Malteses Falcon and 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher. I enjoy Latakia on rare occasion just not as a steady diet.
Out of my own curiosity I’d like to ask the Latakia lovers of this forum if they also love Cilantro and those who don’t like Latakia if they also avoid Cilantro.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I pile cilantro high everytime I get a chance (and I mean high!). I love Latakia as well but think it only has a part to play in a blend. McClellands British Woods for instance is a little more one dimensional that I like. Same thing with cilantro it is best when the food I cover with it is already exceptional.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Love cilantro's refreshing taste, but I agree it can easily overwhelm a delicate dish.

Dislike Latakia's tiresome smokiness, and prolonged use de-sensitizes my taste buds.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I've loved cilantro on essentially everything, since forever.
I think I'm coming to feel the same about latakia.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
You've nailed it there, Marcel, right on the head!
Latakia for my tobacco, peat for my whisky, bergamot for my tea, and cilantro for my coarser food. Cinnamon for my dessert.
I've just finished my lunch of a southwestern-style roasted corn soup, ironically!

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I enjoy an occasional heavy latakia blend, but cilantro, the taste literally makes me gag.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I think the metaphor works, but there's a genetic component to cilantro-tasting that leaves some unfortunate souls incapable of perceiving its charms. Personally, I feel that way about broccoli and brussels sprouts (though oddly, I don't mind brocolini or other forms of cabbage...), but I enjoy the grassy notes of cilantro. A good friend of mine literally gags if he tastes it.
Latakia inspires much the same range of reactions, but I don't think there's a genetic predisposition toward enjoying or being repulsed by its flavor - it's more subjective and a question of taste.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
9oliCOI.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nate, if you mix some chopped tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos with the cilantro in your pipe bowl, you can dip tortilla chips in it! But I'd recommend a ceramic bowl pipe for it.
Me, I like latakia a lot, and smoke a lot of latakia blends, but not to the exclusion of other blends. I love cilantro and grow my own. It goes well with a lot a Mexican and latin dishes, but I agree, you have to be judicious with its use, or it can overpower some dishes like guacamole.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I really enjoy both. And I feel I am more critical of the dish/blend if they are used as a light condiment than if they are just there as flavor bombs. I suppose that makes sense to some degree though, as a condiment they are more of a nuance to be picked up which is easier to fail. When a flavor bomb, they are either in your face or they aren't.(Which I think would actually be hard to fail; although, I am sure someone has or eventually will find a way to mess up a flavor bomb)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting that there is a correlation with some; others not. I like cilantro in salsa and guacamole, and am generally unaware of it in other dishes. Grew some last year, nice.
Latakia: I haven't an opinion yet. Many blends I've tried have it, but I've yet to try it in enough quantity to form an opinion.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well played nate! :clap:
I love cilantro and put it on/in many dishes that I enjoy. Latakia and I are in the process of becoming good friends. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am a fan of cilantro as used in Mexican cuisine. I like a hint of it. Latakia is another thing. I am a great fan and have never experienced too much in a blend.
edit: I should have stated as used in interior Mexican cuisine. Much as I like Tex-Mex, the further south of the border I get the better the fare.

echobr00tal

Lurker
Oct 11, 2012
I started on latakia. Got food poisoning but smoked some gaslight before realizing it. Got sick and havent smoked it since. I love cilantro, best thing ever. Scared to try latakia again but I have 3 tins of the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.