Lat Bomb...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Most English/Balkan feels like Lat bomb on first smoke. After about a week or two, they are pretty mellow.
That's always interested me. When Russ sent me a sample of WhiteKnight, which was sent out to us without any label or descriptions at all. He wanted our honest feedback. I told him that the latakia tasted very balanced, not overdone at all. But, he responded that it was the most latakia he had ever used in a blend. He also said that depending on what it is blended with, many of what we forum members have deemed lat bombs actually has only about 30% latakia. So, just the amount of latakia in a blend doesn't necessarily make a blend a lat bomb, but that the way it interacts with the other leaf used, can sway our senses of the latakia. I' thought that this was very interesting. So much of how we perceive of certain blends go against our intuition. Hell, I'd say that 90% of everything about smoking pipes is counter intuitive.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That's always interested me. When Russ sent me a sample of WhiteKnight, which was sent out to us without any label or descriptions at all. He wanted our honest feedback. I told him that the latakia tasted very balanced, not overdone at all. But, he responded that it was the most latakia he had ever used in a blend. He also said that depending on what it is blended with, many of what we forum members have deemed lat bombs actually has only about 30% latakia. So, just the amount of latakia in a blend doesn't necessarily make a blend a lat bomb, but that the way it interacts with the other leaf used, can sway our senses of the latakia. I' thought that this was very interesting. So much of how we perceive of certain blends go against our intuition. Hell, I'd say that 90% of everything about smoking pipes is counter intuitive.
Never really looked for how strong Latakia was in a blend. It seems, I prefer Lat followed by a nice sweetness. That seems to give me what I'm looking for. Ones without the sweetness seem to give little more focused Lat presence. But sweetness can accentuate the Lat also to me. So, I'm clueless which blend has more of a bomb. One thing is, towards the end of tin, they are all mellow.

Never really looked for how strong Latakia was in a blend. It seems, I prefer Lat followed by a nice sweetness. That seems to give me what I'm looking for. Ones without the sweetness seem to give little more focused Lat presence. But sweetness can accentuate the Lat also to me. So, I'm clueless which blend has more of a bomb. One thing is, towards the end of tin, they are all mellow.
I love it when it is more of a chewy leather, or spicy incense, and even give me a dumpster fire every now and then. But, for me, I do seem to prefer latakia in the winter. That doesn't mean that I never smoke it in the summer, or other seasons, just the winter and latakia seems to go together like coconut sun tan lotion and a sweaty woman on the beach.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'd recommend Pirate Kake for sure, Fusiliers Rations, Star of the East, Northwoods, Nightcap, Quet Nights etc. But there are many 'Lat bomb' blends.

As a semi-related note: Robert McConnell's Latakia Flake (or John Aylesbury's Commander Flake which is the same thing) is excellent, but not much like any other Latakia blends (definitely not a 'lat bomb'), if you want something floral, Lakeland-ish and smooth, it might be an interesting option. I really enjoy it and it's pretty unique.

Mar 1, 2014

Everyone should go buy some Blending Latakia and smoke it straight, it's like trying to play music with just the cymbals in an orchestra, highly punctuated but without interactions you could almost call it bland.