PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
Well for my first tobacco to ever smoke I have ordered Lane BCA, a black cavendish.....has anyone ever smoked this tobacco? I don't know if it's a good beginner or not but I'll find out.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
It's very mild and sweet. But not flavored with cherry or peach or any of that crap. It's a good, smooth smoke with no bite, and a great room note. Lane's 1Q is also a good beginner, though many tend to burn it too hot and not get the flavors it has. 1Q also has black cavendish in it. I would think you would enjoy either.
BCA is one of those I like to have handy because its good for a number of reasons; new friends can smoke it easily, and it blends well with just about anything. If you pick up a new tobacco to try and it seems a little harsh, you can add some BCA to it and it will mellow it out.
Just a note, I like tea, Coke, and Pepsis a lot, but found that drinking those with aromatics to be very cloying and sticky tasting. So I prefer to drink water with aromatics as it cleanses the pallet. I'll often enjoy a sweet drink like Coke Pepsi or tea with my english tobaccos.
Welcome to the forum, and happy pipe smoking!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
BCA is one of the few aros I still keep around. And it's way better than 1Q. I didn't like 1Q at all.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks....having never smoked, I've no need or desire to use high nicotine tobaccos, purely for aroma and I guess taste. Don't know where BCA falls in the nocotine category, but not real concerned at the moment. If I continue this, I just know the low nicotine variety is what I'd prefer.

tightline55

Lurker
Jun 9, 2015
Speaking for myself, I started with these sweet tobaccos, but over time have graduated to the heartier English blends. There is nothing wrong with BCA or 1Q, but I think as you develop your palate by trying different tobaccos, it is very possible that you will find something you prefer other than Aromatics.Enjoy the journey, take your time.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Don't know where BCA falls in the nocotine category, but not real concerned at the moment.
If I had to guess on a scale of 1-10, it would be about a 2. Very low nicotine, at least to me.
BCA is an interesting one. I tend to like tobacco with some serious tobacco taste. Heavy, hearty, good Burley blends... but BCA once in awhile is a nice little break for the palate. Hints of vanilla, an ever so slight floral tone.
I think you picked a great beginner tobacco. One suggestion, try drying it out a bit. The flavor is even better in my opinion, and it will burn coooooool.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I smoked BCA almost exclusively for my first year or two. In fact, BCA was the tobacco that convinced me to keep piping, after a few bad experiences with cheap OTC blends. I still remember the first time I started tasting hints of coffee, cocoa, and brown sugar instead of the hot acrid steam I had been getting, and I was hooked.
Unfortunately, my tastes changed, and I found myself wanting more complex flavors. However, BCA still holds a special place in my memory, and I'll still smoke a half bowl now and then for old times sake.
In summary, great first choice! It's about the friendliest tobacco you can find (especially with a little drying time, as skrapsoftobacco mentioned)

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
BCA is delicious, as is 1Q. Both are good places to start, as are the classic OTCs like Carter Hall and Prince Albert.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
BCA is also good to be mixed with other tobaccos. It is fire-cured which may point you in the direction of other blends that may delight you.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
BCA is not a bad aromatic.
It is fire-cured which may point you in the direction of other blends that may delight you.

+1 Spencer.

Jan 8, 2013
You can't go wrong with BCA. I have more BCA than any other aromatic for a good reason... it's just that dang good! Answering your question, it's actually great for a beginner. It's very forgiving. Easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit. I do let mine sit out for a while, because it is a bit on the moist side. But once it dries out a bit, it's an easy smoke with no bite. I reach for it when I have a sweet tooth. It also leaves a pleasant room note. And as was said by others, it mixes wonderfully with other blends. Any time I feel the urge to sweeten up a blend, I mix in a little BCA. You made a good choice. Enjoy the heck out of it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.