PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
With the amount of vanilla's I have tried (about 10 now), it is obvious that is more than just the vanilla as to why these cannot match the Lane product.
I obviously have a "sweet tooth" and cannot find a tobacco that comes into the mouth as sweet as the Lane's BCV.
It is definitely something else they were adding that presents with the perfectly balanced, non cloying sweetness of their discontinued product.
I do not believe I would finish 5 lbs of this in the life I have left so does anyone wish to go in with me?

Reactions: AroEnglish

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I could've easily made that one the only blend I smoked. Went through the five pound lot I ordered a few years ago in just a few months.
Probably the biggest disappointment in my pipe smoking experience was when I went to reorder my supply of Vanilla Black Cavendish and discovered it had suddenly been discontinued. I still have about 4 oz. that I enjoy on special occasions. I was disapponted once again when I went to reorder Match Hines Mixture and found it was no longer in production. It would be nice if they would let the public know when they were going to stop production of a blend so a person could restock a supply. I am like you in that I could have been happy with just the Vanilla Black Cavendish and unfortunately there is no equal.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It would be nice if they would let the public know when they were going to stop production of a blend so a person could restock a supply.
Many of us have been through it several times and is why we advocate buying as much of favorite blends as one can afford whenever you're able to.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Many of us have been through it several times and is why we advocate buying as much of favorite blends as one can afford whenever you're able to.
If you had bought more, do you think it would’ve changed enough with ageing that you wouldn’t enjoy it in later years?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you had bought more, do you think it would’ve changed enough with ageing that you wouldn’t enjoy it in later years?
Tightly packed in jars, aromatics seldom change. I've got Altadis, now Sutliff, aromatic blends from the early 2000s that are indiscernible from newer stock.

Reactions: dcon and AroEnglish

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I have enjoyed Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish for a while, but when I recently looked to restock it appears to be discontinued.

Is there a good match for this tobacco? I tried the Lane BCA but found it to be not nearly as good as the old Lane Vanilla BC.
A recent addition for me that I LOVE is Sutliff Aged Maduro Cavendish. That stuff is the bomb, I like it even better than BCA. Not sure if it is vanilla enough for you, but please do try an OZ if you like the cavendish.

Reactions: AroEnglish

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Just tried the Molte Dolce that is supposed to be so sweet.
Nothing "sweet" about it for me.
Don't know if my taste buds have altered having had covid 3 times with the first one taking 7 months to get my sense of smell back but things are seemingly different now taste wise.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Well, I don't know how long a couple pounds will last you but you will fall in love w it.
It is more than just a vanilla tobacco and is why other vanillas keep falling short for me.
just tried the Cornell

just tried it
Nope.
I'm with you on Cornell and Deihl vanilla black Cavendish. I bought two ounces of it and it was sopping wet in the bag. When I was trying to pack a bowl the tobacco had a weird greasyness on my fingers. I was suprised because I like C and D blends a lot. I got about 4 or 5 puffs in and I put it out and dumped the tobacco into the garbage disposal. I had to wipe out the bowl a few times because of the nasty glop that was in the bowl. I'll stick with BCA and Captain Black Dark.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Tried Up to 14 different vanilla blends and other flavors to no avail.
Lanes black raspberry was unsmokable for me. Closest is Sutcliffs Crème Brûlée along w Molte Dolce. Sutcliffs Butterscotch crème was also a throwaway. The Lane blend for their bcv was just right with whatever they used. Haven’t found that initial sweet into the mouth, non cloying after taste that the Lane provided.
It Was a very special blend enjoyed by many and it is a shame they’ve decided to get rid of it.
Has to about something more than their corporate story as to why the discard.