PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Though not new to me (I’ve smoked it since at least 2001), figured I’d give my impressions, and share some of my initial impressions from some years ago (taken from my personal blend notes. These observations have evolved over time, and Im constantly re-evaluating and re-examining blends).

Pouch note is a light vanilla not strong like captain Black (which is apparently the OTC equivalent) * I’ve since learned that they share the SAME blend components. Differences being the excess PG added to Cpt Blk as a preservative and sweetener, as well as Cpt Blk having a flavor enhancer added. ** I’ve also modified my impressions of pouch aroma to definitively being that of nougat.

I spot only burley and Cavendish in this blend. Nary a shred of Virginia to be found. *Ive since come to the conclusion that I was remiss, and didn’t or couldn’t differentiate the gold Virginia from the burley. Not sure why, but those are the facts. Cahill it up to inexperience.

Perfect amount of moisture. Ready to drop right into the bowl. *Ive remained steadfast in this observation over the years, and found RLP-6 ready to smoke straight from the pouch. Though I’ve only ever bought in bulk, 1lbs increments, not sure what the tins would bear, and yes, Lane does offer small 2oz(?) tins of RLP-6, I’ve seen them at Iwan Ries.

Upon initial lighting, you get a big melange of flavors, that rich though not overpowering casing adding a nice bit of salty/sweet yin yang. * Today, I’d say that might be true, but it’s that nougat that I really taste now. So perhaps, sweet/salty/nutty would be more accurate.

The flavor remains consistent throughout, only diminishing at the very last dregs of the bowl to elicit the strong, grilled corn flavors of burley. A fine grey/white ash remains, with very little Dottle or moisture. Surprising, as most Aros leave quite a bit of “goop” at the base of the bowl. * I still agree with this. And though I rarely smoke RLP-6 straight anymore, I do use it for the first pack with other, sweeter and more heavily cased tobacco’s like Seven Seas, to reduce the overall sweetness, and act as a filter/collection point for the excess moisture that the more powerful tobacco’s will expunge.

Overall, it’s still an enjoyable smoke. A great price point too. Though, for Aromatic smokers, I think it may be a bit light on flavor. I’m a English/Balkan smoker, so I appreciate the muted flavors versus the more typical in your face casings of the goopiest blends. It’s also substantially less sweet, which I also appreciate. I prefer a solid tobacco flavor to sweetness or flavors.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
It could be argued though that latakia and Perique are flavored and most production blends are cased.
I wouldn’t say Lat or Perique are flavored, though they certainly are flavorful. There’s no chemical additive, the process itself is the element to impart their uniqueness. Obviously with Lat, it’s the burning wood and it’s residual smoke that imparts the flavor. And with Perique, it’s the immense pressure of the jackscrews. But Cavendish is also a flavor achieved via steam and pressure, versus the flavored Cavendish of the US (typically Vanilla, Cherry or Anise added).
I wouldn’t say Black Cavendish is flavored, but I would definitely say Vanilla Black Cavendish is.

You are correct that most pipe tobacco’s are cased for a more palatable product, but the PG in Captain Black or Molto Dolce is much more than the typical blend.

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
RLP-6 is my go to Aromatic. It's basically Captain Black Royal blend. It is significantly less moist than CBR out of the pouch though. I keep a jar of RLP-6 at home and carry a pouch of CBR when out and about.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I occasionally smoke Lane RLP-6, and yes, it’s compared to Captain Black Original (White). I find Lane 1-Q, which is compared to Captain Black Royal, to be a little more flavorful.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Tell that to the witch hunters banning flavored tobaccos. ?

I like RLP-6 as well. My favorite was Vanilla Black Cavendish. Good thing I stocked a few pounds before it got discontinued.
That’s a different deal entirely. (Don’t want to get too far off topic, but I’ve already mailed off several letters to my Reps and Senators asking how accessories can be “deemed” “tobacco products” by that rationale, a shot glass is hard liquor, a Stein is beer, a holster is a gun, heck, matches are dynamite).

Never really enjoyed flavored Cavendish. I think Cavendish itself has a unique enough flavor without the need to add Vanilla, Cherry etc. to it.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
RLP-6 is my go to Aromatic. It's basically Captain Black Royal blend. It is significantly less moist than CBR out of the pouch though. I keep a jar of RLP-6 at home and carry a pouch of CBR when out and about.
RLP-6 is fundamentally the same as CB Regular, 1Q is fundamentally the same as CB Royal. The only differences being CB having added PG, and flavor enhancers to prolong shelf life.
By far, the wettest tobacco I’ve ever bought was Molto Dolce. Took hours to dry (even then it was still quite wet), enough to smoke. Really sweet, sickeningly sweet to my palate. I usually just either cut some RLP-6 in with it, or use the filter method. My first pack being RLP-6, then Molto Dolce on top, and RLP-6 on top of that for the charting light.
1Q definitely has a more pronounced flavor, which is why I favor RLP-6. I like more muted flavors and more tobacco prominence.

Dies_Irae

Lurker
May 8, 2021
Rhode Island
I bought a pound of Lane 1Q but I don't really care for it. I don't smoke many aromatics anymore. I would say there is at least 15 oz left. If someone pays shipping I will send it to them for free.

Will

Reactions: MarcosEZLN and STP

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Interesting to read the comments by OP and what follows.

I made my own blend based on HGL, which I believe is RPL-6 with a small addition of some Latakia. I've smoked thru many bowls of both RPL-6 and HGL and imo find the latter to be slightly more interesting in both aroma and taste.

Both, however, become more nuanced, and just a little more ballsy with the small addition of cigar-leaf.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I bought a pound of Lane 1Q but I don't really care for it. I don't smoke many aromatics anymore. I would say there is at least 15 oz left. If someone pays shipping I will send it to them for free.
I mean, I'd gladly take it off your hands, but have you considered using a pinch here and there to mix into other tobaccos? Sometimes it's nice just to sweeten up a rather plain Virginia blend, or even an OTC like Carter Hall.

Reactions: Aomalley27
Status
Not open for further replies.