PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Just finishing my first bowl (in a Cob of course)of Lane Ltd Ready Rubbed and I must say that I like it. Very subtle flavor but the aroma is fantastic. We'll see how the rest of this pouch goes.

By the way, has anyone tried Heine's Blend? I'm intrigued by these old school blends and I've seen it available on the retailers sites. Other than what I've read on tobacco reviews.com, I can find precious few other reviews on YouTube and other sources. I wish it were available in pouches as I dont want to gamble $35 plus dollars on a tub of the stuff only to find I didn't like it. Plus I smoke so infrequently that it would take me forever to go through a tub of the stuff. So any information on Heine's Blend will be appreciated. Happy smokes y'all!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've reviewed Heine's Blend at TR, and have smoked a few tubs of it. The light pineapple topping reveals itself better in a cob. I like the burley flavor of it. If not for the FDA, we'd be seeing HB in 1.5 ounce tins. I understand your situation, money wise. If you can find somebody willing to share a tub, that might solve your problem.
For those who see this who haven't read my review, I'll post it here:

A typical American over the counter burley based blend that's been around since the 1930s. The burleys have a touch of cocoa, some molasses and earth and a rather nutty flavor with a touch of coumarin replacing the deer tongue that was once used, which provides a light spice note. The topping is a mild pineapple which adds a little sweetness and tang. I also get a very slight hit of lemon and citrus. The burleys are cubed, crushed plug, and small diced flake cut which make for a even, cool burn with a very consistent taste, requiring almost no relights. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Won't bite or get harsh. Light on nicotine, and not a deep tasting mixture, but it's an easy going all day smoke with a flavor that wears well for the smoker no matter how often it's smoked. Three and a half stars.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here's my review (posted on tobaccoreviews.com in July of 2011) of Heine's blend:
"Heine's Blend has been on my tobacco radar for years, but is one that I did not try until today. Now I am sorry that I waited so long.
"This blend is described above as having a "cube cut" and so I expected to see something akin to Cornell & Diehl's Crooner (No. 104) when I opened the sturdy 14 oz. plastic container. Instead, I was greeted by a mostly dark, gently fragrant, chunky tobacco that has more of what I would describe as a 'rough cut.'
"It was moist, but did not leave my fingers sticky when I pinched some between them. Its aroma in the container seemed almost subtle, really noticable only when I placed my nose a few inches above it. To me the smell was reminiscent of Fig Newton cookies.
"Like most aromatic tobaccos this one would benefit from some drying, as initially I had a hard time keeping it lit after loading my pipe (a small briar billard that I use for testing new tobaccos) directly from the container. However, having said that, I was pleased by the fact that there was no "gurgle" in my initial bowl. Further, a pipe-cleaner applied after I dumped the dark gray ash (with almost no dottle) showed a surprisingly small amount of tar.
"The smoke was blue-white and creamy, and try as I might I could not induce this blend to bite. Its taste was lightly sweet and pleasant, and left no coating on my tongue. The room note was comforting: slightly spicy, warm, and inviting.
"This is a very pleasant easy-to-smoke blend that helped me to recall why I became a pipe-smoker in the first place, and I recommend it."

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Love both reviews here and now I'm tempted to open up a large jar of this blend that's been sitting on my shelf for over 20 years. Glad to see that it's still being manufactured.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Doc: you may taste something a little different than Hunter and me. HB originally had deer tongue, and Sutliff was forced to substitute coumarin for it a few years back, though I can't date when that happened. You may have the earlier version, which is delicious. We'll be curious to know what you experience.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver
Status
Not open for further replies.