PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
I've been trying to find a lighter burley blend for a Carter Hall substitute. I just got a 14oz can of Lane Ready Rubbed today and smoked some out of a cob. I'm very impressed with this blend. Creamy, light chocolate, nutty burley. A lot like how I remember Carter Hall tasting. At least to my unsophisticated palate. Anyway just thought I'd pass that on in case anyone is interested in this blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is a staple in my rotation. Burley in a cob is my current preferred way to start my pipe smoking day. This is one of the three tobaccos, with Mac B HH Burley Flake and Golden Extra, that are part of my first pipe rotation. (Amphora Original and Amphora Burley take turns filling that last slot.)
The Sutliff match is also tasty, but much more apt to be out of stock...and since I never smoked the original, I am quite happy to smoke the Lane, and not worry about it.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I've been trying to find a lighter burley blend for a Carter Hall substitute. I just got a 14oz can of Lane Ready Rubbed today and smoked some out of a cob. I'm very impressed with this blend. Creamy, light chocolate, nutty burley. A lot like how I remember Carter Hall tasting. At least to my unsophisticated palate. Anyway just thought I'd pass that on in case anyone is interested in this blend.
Like already mentioned, try Mac baren golden extra. Yummy yummy.

Considering MacBarens Golden Extra was introduced almost 70 years ago and the Edgeworth matches were introduced far more recently, wouldn't that make Golden Extra the codger blend? ?
Well, I've never seen codger blends defined by how long they've been available, but by how they're packaged and by where you buy them. The answer being in pouches or tubs in grocery stores, chemists, or gas stations.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, I've never seen codger blends defined by how long they've been available, but by how they're packaged and by where you buy them. The answer being in pouches or tubs in grocery stores, chemists, or gas stations.
When was the last time you saw a Sutliff or Lane outside of Captain Black at a gas station??

When was the last time you saw a Sutliff or Lane outside of Captain Black at a gas station??
I pay less attention to Lane and Sutliff than I do to Vapes, decaf, and near-beers. None of which I am remotely interested in. But, Lane Ready Rubbed is the reincarnation of Edgeworth RR, which you could find in those places.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I saw Cosmic hiding out in one smoking a cob with some codger blend in it. The worst part was his disguise it looked like he stole a custom from a junior high school theatre department. Second worst thing his fake accent (which he claimed was from Skevtelvannia), oh and he was chugging through a case of O'douls.

When I saw Cosmic hiding out in one smoking a cob with some codger blend in it. The worst part was his disguise it looked like he stole a custom from a junior high school theatre department. Second worst thing his fake accent (which he claimed was from Skevtelvannia), oh and he was chugging through a case of O'douls.
Not Amused GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Doesn’t golden extra (or golden blend) specifically come in a pouch in the UK?
I have no idea what they do in Europe, but maybe. They have a lot of great pouched blends there. Jay had sent me a few pouched Virginia Flakes they have also, and I was jealous as hell that they can just get VA Flakes at the chemist there.

But, here in the US, I have only ever seen it like this.
1618512607756.png

Reactions: Ahi Ka

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
I used to be quite the MacBaren fan. Symphony, Golden Extra, Norwood, Burley London el al. Acadian Perique, Old Dark Fired etc. In the end it was Granger that blew MY mind. Go figure?
I've only smoked Granger a few times but to me it's got some similarities with MacBaren Navy Flake. As in if you like one you'd like the other.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Back in the day, when I first ventured into pipe smoking, and was buying my pipes and tobacco at a pharmacy with an extensive selection, they sold some MacBaren's blends, in tins. I never paid much attention to them, because the tinned blends were more expensive, and I was an impoverished college student.
In other parts of the world, Mac Baren is ubiquitous, like what John Patton refers to as "the American classics". It's sold in pouches, It's sold in tubs. It's everywhere.
Mac-Baren-Mixture-Scottish-Blend-cover.jpg

Mac_Baren_Mixture_Scottish_50g_1.JPG