PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Thanks so much, Kottan. Very kind words... I do love working on pipes. I do have a reverence for the old souls. I am very sentimental that way. It is more of a hobby for me than anything. It does allow me try a myriad of different pipes and that makes it rewarding. I have to acknowledge that their forum members vastly more skilled than I at pipe restoration.

I looked up the 58. It is a very elegant shaped pipe. And now, of course, I will search for one that I might acquire. LOL.
That would be nice, 7charb, I hope you can get one, it would be in good hands. Charatans with this shape (# 58) are rare. As you can see in the pictures below mine has pretty much scratches, the stamping is faint, the CP logo has disappeared completely but as I said before, it was “a must have“.
20201115_133021.jpg20201115_132951.jpg

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
That would be nice, 7charb, I hope you can get one, it would be in good hands. Charatans with this shape (# 58) are rare. As you can see in the pictures below mine has pretty much scratches, the stamping is faint, the CP logo has disappeared completely but as I said before, it was “a must have“.
View attachment 63866View attachment 63868
Beautiful pipe. In the years I worked at Diebel's (1970s), and we carried Charatan's, I never saw this shape. A keeper!!

Reactions: Kottan

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Beautiful pipe. In the years I worked at Diebel's (1970s), and we carried Charatan's, I never saw this shape. A keeper!!
Ziggy, since I was young (16) tobacco shops always fascinated me. In my hometown we had 3 of them. They all had this special flair that gave me a fine feeling whenever I entered them to buy little things I could afford at the time. I admired the pipes shown and whished I could buy me one later, when I would have saved the money for it. That was the time when my two best friends and me talked pipes in a very expertly manner w/o having ever hold one of these top-pipes in our hands but smoking Clan or Lincoln Cavendish in a basket pipe. ‘Dunhill' was the magic word until one friend came up with the statement, that Charatans were much better than Dunhills. (he had heard this from an old experienced pipe smoker). That must be the moment the name ‘Charatan' was branded in my brain though I still had'nt seen one. None of the tobacco shops in my town sold Charatans. Years later (76/77?), now living in Frankfurt, a very friendly Lady in a small tobacco shop, who always showed me several pipes from different makers in my price range once put also a smaller, smooth bent Charatan (211 DC Belvedere) on the counter. I bought it and still smoke it today. I don't know what I would have done if I had been sitting close to the spring like you. ?

Reactions: Humblepipe

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Ziggy, since I was young (16) tobacco shops always fascinated me. In my hometown we had 3 of them. They all had this special flair that gave me a fine feeling whenever I entered them to buy little things I could afford at the time. I admired the pipes shown and whished I could buy me one later, when I would have saved the money for it. That was the time when my two best friends and me talked pipes in a very expertly manner w/o having ever hold one of these top-pipes in our hands but smoking Clan or Lincoln Cavendish in a basket pipe. ‘Dunhill' was the magic word until one friend came up with the statement, that Charatans were much better than Dunhills. (he had heard this from an old experienced pipe smoker). That must be the moment the name ‘Charatan' was branded in my brain though I still had'nt seen one. None of the tobacco shops in my town sold Charatans. Years later (76/77?), now living in Frankfurt, a very friendly Lady in a small tobacco shop, who always showed me several pipes from different makers in my price range once put also a smaller, smooth bent Charatan (211 DC Belvedere) on the counter. I bought it and still smoke it today. I don't know what I would have done if I had been sitting close to the spring like you. ?
My gosh, the first Charatan I could afford after starting work in the pipe shop was a Belvedere #211 pictured here. I still remember the day it came in from the wholesaler and was put in the Charatan tray; I just couldn't believe the bird's eye on the crosscut, and NO pits plus it was a '4' - really large which I liked. I had to have it, and have never regretted it. Its a sweet, sweet smoker; Too sweet as I bit through the end of the bit over time. I cut a black lucite replacement as you see in the picture. Now here is another Charatan mystery for us. This pipe wasn't a 'DC'. It's stamped #4211 only. The original bit was a tapered oval with the 'Cp'. So I just hand cut and lathed a tapered oval in lucite. I regretted losing the 'Cp' and experimented duplicating it using my stamps, but the lucite is too hard and I couldn't get a really good match - "close but no cigar". It was frustrating because I can replace the Dunhill and Comoy logos in stems, but not Charatan. By the way, Comoy's inlay is a pain in the ass!20210204_074741_compress98.jpg20210204_074827_compress17.jpg

Reactions: Kottan

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
View attachment 63866View attachment 63868
I need this pipe! Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: Ziggywm

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Can't believe I missed this thread. The 215 I have is one of my absolute favourite pipes.

Mine is also a tapered stem without an X or DC after the shape number. Before I got rid of the extensive oxidisation it had the logo with the tail of the c running through the middle of the p loop. It's Lane marked & an 'Authentic' - which probably dates it to 1980. That suits me fine as it's my birth year.

Now if anyone else has come across a Charatan marked Imperial before, I'd be really interested. When I bought it I could only find one other mentioned on the Internet (if I remember right).