PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
While rummaging around in back of the cellar, I spied a pint jar of Lane's Crown Achievement. I didn't even know it was there. I suppose I ended up with it, in my early cellaring days. I purchased it along with a number of other blend ideas- copy/pasted from SmokingPipes' Ten Best Bulk Seller List. There it sat gathering dust, among others such as C&D Bayou Morning and Epiphany, Big & Burley and Kramer's Danny Kaye. Somehow I just never got around to it. I had ordered four oz of each and jarred them up. Stacked and over the course of time, pushed to the back. Fortunately, this blend likes time to mature.

I've never been a huge fan of the Lane. I guess I ranked their blends somewhere below PS, MacBaren and C&D, In the same general ballpark as Sutliff and Newminster. Good, everyday smoking but nothing to rave about. Mistaken snobbery in the case of Crown Achievement. It's good- very good.

It appears to be a standard English blend with various tobaccos ranging from Latakia to lighter and leather colored bits. Medium, uniform sized particles. When I opened the bell jar the smoky lat aroma wafted out and dominated any other. I am reminded of one LP Peretti's English blends. Time and the jar have been kind to it -for it packs well in my Sav 320xl Author. The pipe has a very open draw. Easy charring and lighting. Copious, creamy cool smoke. Comforting in a Goldilocks oatmeal kind of way- just right for a cool foggy morning, like this morning. Warming and satisfying for a 1st smoke of the day. Easy with zero relights. Not one of those slogging blends that fatigues half way through. Medium nic hit.

I guess I'd have to say that it's a big thumbs up for Lane' Crown Achievement in my book.

Oct 7, 2016
According to a friend who called Smoking Pipes a few weeks ago and is a regular smoker of this blend, bulk is no longer available from Lane and such tins as are available now will be all there is.

BS 005, with maybe a year or more on it, is very good. Not the same, but good.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I remember really like CA but haven't had it in some time. Like you, I have a jar stashed in the back of the cellar. Coming on 20 years or so. I may actually have a tin, as well. Great, find!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Despite my propensity for burley, I like many English blends -- mild, medium, and strong, with or without burley. I think it helps to smoke other genres so you don't get tired of the inevitable Latakia, which is so good, but can get boring. I'll find my tin of Crown' one of these days, and it should be getting quite good.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Good day all. I’m in Montana with my daughter hiking and enjoying the beauty. I stopped at a B&M and they had a few of these tins. Having never seen it before, I bought a tin along with a tin of Balkan Sasieni. Really enjoyed it! Way more than the Sasieni which was blah. Think I may go back and get the rest. When was this discontinued? Good find.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I tried a bowl of this in Chicago and loved it, definitely adding to my next order when my TAD starts acting up
It’s been discontinued for some reason so unless you can find some somewhere you’re out of luck. Has had a sordid past it would seem. Does anyone know when and why they discontinued this fine smoke?

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have no idea, but would guess that Lane appeals to the Everyman smoker and the new pipe smoker so might not have the best following for what sounds like a fairly refined English blend in such a broad and competitive market.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jul 15, 2011
I have stashed away a not insignificant amount of Crown Achievement stashed away. It's crazy flavorful without being overbearing and is a very reliable, clean smoke. Also, it goes really well with a cold root beer.