PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
resurrection of an Older thread for sure and I’ll bite. It’s a classic blend for all things that have been said about it. Hate it or love it. It’s something that fired up in public will grab the nose of nostalgia and when smoked will say hello to an old friend. Most people have a jar somewhere (myself included) and if you’ve moved past it good on ya. But if it was all there was to smoke on a deserted island there are worst things in the world. like Being stuck on an island with no booze or women.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Got a sample of this on a whim to have in my new cob.

I can see where most of the comments come from. I don’t hate it. I think I’d much rather have this than some of the borkum riff stuff I’ve tried lately. But it certainly is bitey.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Reading something on TR now, seems like it’s made by the same company that does borkum riff, ie Scandinavian? Colour me surprised, I thought Lane 1Q was American.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
In the PG soaked bulk aromatic category of my cellar, I have only kept RLP-6 which is very similar to 1Q, but just with burley added which tips it slightly more in the tobacco flavoured direction.
In my (brief) experience, Lane 1-Q is more "tobacco-forward" than RLP-6. The latter has a medicinal taste to me. Of course YMMV. Everyone is different. ?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In my (brief) experience, Lane 1-Q is more "tobacco-forward" than RLP-6. The latter has a medicinal taste to me. Of course YMMV. Everyone is different. ?
No. I am correct and factual.

Observe my irrefutable logic below, with all references sited -

Relative Leaf Presence - 6

1 Question (where's the tobacco?)

References:
Da Interwebz.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
A question, if I may. Does this stuff ever dry? The first bowl bit me. I figured it was more steam than a real bite, so I’ve left the entire sample outside the packet, in my garage, for two days now, spread out, to dry a bit. Uhm. I can’t see any difference? Sure it’s pretty humid at the moment but even wet laundry dries, yet this stuff stays goopy.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
^^^ yeah, it’s goopy, but a couple hours on a paper towel works for me. If you’re in an area of high humidity it could take longer, but a couple days should do it… If not, try a little longer.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
My final thoughts on this. I like it more in a cob than in briar. Currently having the last of my sample pack in a Peterson system 314, and the taste is definitely not the same.

Once sufficiently dry (which proved to be a challenge) I had to pack it significantly tighter than I would my non-aro blends to get it to hold a light. Once there, it smokes okay.

In a cob, I can probably go so far as to say I enjoy it for what it is, and wouldn’t mind having some at hand at all times, just as another option.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I just ordered 4 oz of this blend from SmokingPipes without having tried it before. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised. It didn't bite, has a very mellow vanilla flavour and an excellent 'old school' room note. It's going in my cellar for those days when I want something a bit light.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill