PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You lost it, you broke it, you sold it, you gave it away, you nearly bought it but never did. What pipe that you no longer or never had still remains in memory? I've probably culled two dozen pipes in my time, but only one seems to hang in memory, actually a basket pipe, but a lithe, handsome straight smooth billiard. It said "Made In England" (or London, I can't remember which). The stain was deep red, and I'll never forget smoking it outdoors for my wife's interminable hair styling appointment, smoking Fox and Hound, and enjoying that pipe immoderately. It cracked right where the shank met the bowl about a year later. I should have had it repaired, but ended up sending it to a friend, a reformed Lucky Strike smoker, who wanted a few pipes for decor. At least it didn't go in the dumpster. I've given pipes to active duty military and traded some for store credit, but that's the only one I actively miss. At least, when I took a sabbatical of years from pipe smoking, I saved the pipes and a few blends.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have now TWICE bought a Lee Von Erck piece (two different ones) through the estate market at smokingpipes.com only to have them then stripped away.

The first, a gorgeous spiral shanked/stemmed poker with a deep sandblast I bought and paid for. SP then contacted me hours later to tell me that someone else had bought it simultaneously and that I would not be receiving the pipe.

A year later, another Lee Von Erck estate freehand came up for sale on SP and I bought it the instant it was published. Redemption was mine!!! NOT! I was once again contacted by SP a couple hours later informing me that on final inspection for shipping they realized the shank of the pipe had a significant crack in it and could not be sold. How they didn't notice this during their estate refurbishing process, I have no idea.

I love SP's customer service, it's impossible to beat, but it sure feels like the pipe Gods, or other powers that be that hold more sway than I do, just don't want me to own a frickin Von Erck!

That first poker was a real beauty, too. I still think about it regularly. I hope whoever ended up with it sure enjoys it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Peterson POTY 2020. I have one, but I got it from overseas. SP released it, and while looking at the details, most were sold. I decided to check back later, and there was no later! Peterson made very limited number of them last year. I think 400.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have two so far. One was a Radice Rind Canadian that I got Christmas, 2019. It was the most expensive pipe I'd bought at the time. Well, A few weeks before Christmas this year, my Stepdad accidentally knocked it off the shelf where I was resting it and it snapped at the tenon. I'd probably have been more pissed off but I'd broken a Savinelli Series III the same way a week or two before. So I was bummed out, but didn't have it in me to be that mad.

Another was an Ashton Brindle Canadian with a nice blast on SP.EU that I'd been eyeing for over a year. I finally got enough money to purchase it, and then I broke my phone and had to replace that. By the time I scrounged that hundred bucks back up, someone had finally snatched it. I hope it went to a good home. No big deal as I bought an unsmoked estate Ashton billiard that was about $80 cheaper. And while I preferred the shape of the Canadian, the billiard had an even craggier blast. Then I ended up with enough to buy an entry level Castello Sea Rock during the IPSD sales on top of the Ashton... So it all worked out in the end.

Oct 7, 2016
As much of a Castello fan as I am, I don’t regret letting any of the ones I traded or sold over the years get away. I got fair value for every single one and they went to good homes.

I do regret turning loose of a Radice Clear G Dublin, a DunhilI 848 clone, purchased in 1983, with gorgeous straight across Birdseye that wasn’t stamped OP but certainly would have been in later years. I traded it for something long forgotten.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Passing up on a birth year Dunhill Bulldog. I'd just received the exact model Dunhill Bulldog, albeit from a later year of manufacture, that very week. I should have gotten that birth year pipe and flipped the younger one.
I did get a birth year Dunhill (a shell billiard) later, but I'm still looking out for a birth year Bulldog !

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
This one. She's an Ardor Urano Acorn. I absolutely love everything about this pipe but felt a bit short on cash when she first popped up for sale and then sold before I could commit. I still have it in my wishlist at SmokingPipes as reminder to hit the checkout button ASAP if another one ever surfaces again. If anybody reading this bought this pipe and would be willing to part with it please do not hesitate to let me know.
002-004-2453.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nate King had a small quarter-bent brandy at the Chicago Show six or seven years ago. I was going to buy but thought man it's only Thursday you spent all your money in the first few hours here. So I told him if he hadn't sold it by Sunday I would come and get it. Alas, it was gone,

Reactions: danimalia

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
There is a long out of business brand of pipes that will remain nameless that are mine. By luck many years back I got three in a lot of pipes. After clean up I found all three to be perfect smokers. I then picked up another a couple of years later and it too was a perfect smoker. After that I started actively searching for them. I only see between 2-4 in a year and I have always considered them mine regardless of cost(my one indulgence). Fortunately the average price range is under$100 so it is not bad. I have been successful in getting everyone for some time, till about six months ago. One came up for bid, towards the end of the bidding it was already over the high range, but I put in a high bid of 3 times the high just to be safe. Still got outbid, to say I was despondent is an understatement. :)

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
There was a nice morta at an antique shop that I didn’t pull the trigger on. I see them all the time online, have never tried them, and really like how they look... I just can’t justify dropping the money for a good one now.

Reactions: danimalia

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
My second pipe and first briar a dr grawbow. I didn’t know you could band a crack in the shank so I tossed it. Yeah the banding would probably cost as much as a new one but it was my first briar pipe and I wish I still had it. Still have the first pipe I ever bought a mr brog pearwood.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I once had a Caminetto "New Dear" shape 155 (slightly bent chimney). I bought it in Hawai'i, at a tiny cigar shop in Kona, for $90. One day, it just vanished. I thought it might have fallen out of my jacket pocket, but I'm not sure. I'm still pining for a pipe like that, I really loved it. I've kept an eye on eBay, but mine never appeared. This is similar. Mine had the same 'undercut' saddle stem, same color, with a dash more bend.

aNyNz3H.jpg