PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
What difference do you find between BCF and BSC? I've only had BCF.
Bob's Square Cut (BSC) is more floral and far less chocolate-like notes that Bob's Chocolate Flake (BCF), plus it's cut differently, of course. ;) l would say that if BCF is a 2/10 on the Lakeland scale for flavor, then BSC is about a 4/10 for Lakeland flavor and like a 7-8/10 for Lakeland aroma!

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Disclaimer: New to the topping essence that is in SOME Lakeland blends. I'm not trying to change list placements as I only have 4 blends for reference so far. Figured it'd be interesting to revisit after trying another 4 or 5 blends.

For those putting Stonehenge Flake at Sauce impact level 1, I'm curious how 2017 (or whatever year original) or time tin was open then rested (new incarnation or original) may have impacted placement? I normally allow Pease blends to breathe a couple weeks after opening and treated this one no different. But the blend still has a chemical note going on.

Refocusing to topic, after several bowls of each:
Stonehenge Flake - for me is 2 or 3 (but I think it's a chemical reaction on my tongue perhaps more than the blend?)
Brown Flake Unscented - 1 (I love this stuff , hint of essence there, but not really, can't wait for some age on it)
Bosun Cut Plug Aromatic - 5 me vs 7 on list (I really enjoy this blend the sauce here seems "natural", very different but natural)
Best Brown #2 - 2 (I really enjoyed this one as well, the topping is there but different and much less pronounced than BCPA above. If this is a 2 then Stonehenge is def a 2-3 for me)

Reactions: kschatey

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Yeah, this stuff is weird. My first bowl of Sam's Flake was like 8/10 on the sauce scale. I jarred the rest and returned a couple of months later. It had become 2/10. I swear the lid was screwed on tight.
A notably late reply on this one, but I’m having this precise experience with Sam’s flake. I left it in the tin for 2-weeks and noticed such a drop in essence that I quickly jarred it. I’ve got a half dozen tins back and I think I’m going to just jar them immediately. I definitely prefer it with the essence as pronounced as possible. Now it’s “ok” - and the orientals get to speak up - but not anything like the first or second smokes after opening. Also, don’t recall seeing this placed on the scale? Fresh, I’d say probably a 5-6 @mingc has it around 8, what say you? - Stogie

Reactions: mingc

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A notably late reply on this one, but I’m having this precise experience with Sam’s flake. I left it in the tin for 2-weeks and noticed such a drop in essence that I quickly jarred it. I’ve got a half dozen tins back and I think I’m going to just jar them immediately. I definitely prefer it with the essence as pronounced as possible. Now it’s “ok” - and the orientals get to speak up - but not anything like the first or second smokes after opening. Also, don’t recall seeing this placed on the scale? Fresh, I’d say probably a 5-6 @mingc has it around 8, what say you? - Stogie
Hmm... My tin of Sam's Flake is like 0 or 1.

Reactions: stogie37 and mingc

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Stonehenge Feb 2022 batch (1st tin of the batch tried anyway) straight up delicious Virginia topped with chocolate, perhaps slight nuttiness from the Burley. Zero Lakeland. Still quite enjoyable as the quality soft 'brown' Virginias steal the show. Could be a batch thing of course but drops from a 2 on the Lakeland scale for me to 0.