PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
It's also a convenient excuse to buy more briar pipes. Ghosting! Must buy another (half dozen) pipe(s), LOL.
Yes... This^^^^
I just bought 2 more, both will be assigned to lakeland duties.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Well I have a Business trip scheduled For July to Montreal.. think I must visit and blow some coin at Blatter and Blatter.. Since I need a new pipe or 4 .. because of ghosting.. LOL

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
During the summer, you can go to old time English music hall performances and greet people in the misty late sunsets. People look kind of ghostly, or the ghosts look almost human.
mso...that sounds amazing.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Hello,

For years I have read about "Lakeland" tobaccos. I know this is a description used for some Samuel Gawith blends.

Will someone please describe their flavor and why these blends are so unique. Since SG tobaccos are rarely available, what are some similar brands?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Since SG tobaccos are rarely available, what are some similar brands?
The scarcity is a fairly recent development, and I can think of no similar brands.
Lakelands are named as such because of where they are produced. The flavors some associate with the name are sometimes floral, sometimes sweet, and sometimes vanilla depending on the blend. Some are quite like the floral Turkish delight candies.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Tjs garden, not sure how they are marketed over there but the 'Lakelands' come under the Gawith and Hoggarth banner over here. Mostly loose packed.

When we refer to the Lakeland Essence on here, we mean one of the flavorings that they use that are also used in the soap and perfume industry, which also flourishes in the Lakeland District. Things like rose geranium, which gives those little pink soaps that grandmas keep in their bathrooms as displays. Tonkan bean, other florals, things that usually aren't eaten, but used back in the 1800's to make soaps and perfumes.

However, technically, even their cherry, vanilla, and honey scented tobaccos are still called lakelands, because they are from that district. Also called Kendals.

But, usually when we refer to the "Lakeland" on here, we mean specifically things that smell like antique soaps.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
The only one I've smoked so far is Grousemoor, which I liked. The scent reminded me of Earl Grey tea, which is a favorite. I was fortunate to find Bob's Chocolate Flake in bulk at a local shop, but haven't smoked it yet. Every time I check for Ennerdale it is out of stock.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
The only one I've smoked so far is Grousemoor, which I liked. The scent reminded me of Earl Grey tea, which is a favorite. I was fortunate to find Bob's Chocolate Flake in bulk at a local shop, but haven't smoked it yet. Every time I check for Ennerdale it is out of stock.
4 noggins has Ennerdale in bulk right now, but not in tins.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I don't get soapy from Grousmoore or any of the Sam Gawith I've tried to date. I did get a whopping mouthful of soap yuck from G&H Bright CR Flake. See below for a photo of me smoking it:
ralphiesoap.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Since I like all the Lakeland fans who have posted in this thread, I'll be doing you all a favor by not diminishing the supply with purchases. You all should spend all your money on this marvelous Lakeland blends and not waste any on those nary Virginias.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
What has the strongest lakeland floral essence i could taste a little "soapy taste" i belive in some of the ropes i got last month maybe plecebo but havnt tried any of their flakes yet.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ennerdale. Pretty strong floral scent that many equate with "soapy" taste. Also Kendal Flake. Both strongly scented, but different. Try them, you might like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.