PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I recently got a whole load of 10g samples. :col:

Within which is some Ennerdale, which has a fairly unique aroma.....should I be concerned about it affecting the flavour of whichever pipe I smoke it in? Or should I just get a cheap MM pipe to try it in to see whether I like it or not?

Any advice gratefully received!

Reactions: marconi and rushx9

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Cheap was merely a comment on the cost. I've never had one so its maybe a good excuse to give one a try! I'll keep it firmly away from my other pipes, I'm not sure the smell makes me go "I want that"....:LOL:
?

Cobs come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and can last for years or even decades if you care for them like any other pipe. Lakelands can be quite polarizing, but they do have many fans

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
10 g of Ennerdale might leave a faint apparition, easily handled, but it would be amplified by the current hysteria about ghosting. Best advice is to not smoke anything made in the UK.

I may struggle with that one seeing as I live in the UK.....hopefully that will have boosted my natural Lakeland immunity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a regular Lakelands smoker. A Forums member kindly sent me an unopened tin of Brown Sugar Flake, which is non-aromatic, and like other non-aromatics, I do not think it posed any ghosting problem. I've heard a a few Lakelands smokers who felt that they'd run into supposed non-aromatics that still had that rose geranium problematical scent because of cross-contamination maybe. With any of the Lakeland aromatics, I'd guess a designated pipe or pipes is a good idea. Apparently the Lakelands ghosts persist on into the life of the pipe. I also guess you could smoke other blends in the designated pipes if you wanted a little of that fragrance/taste. Some call it "grandma's bathmat," but some wouldn't smoke without it.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
Some call it "grandma's bathmat," but some wouldn't smoke without it.

There's definitely a flowery fragrance when I smell it. It reminds me of a certain type of scented soap my great grandma had.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will order an inexpensive (not cheap ;)) MM and see how I go. Another good excuse to order some more new tobacco to try!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I recently got a whole load of 10g samples. :col:

Within which is some Ennerdale, which has a fairly unique aroma.....should I be concerned about it affecting the flavour of whichever pipe I smoke it in? Or should I just get a cheap MM pipe to try it in to see whether I like it or not?

Any advice gratefully received!
I don't bother limiting my Lakelands to only certain pipes but will smoke them in any one of my pipes. But I like Lakelands and view it as a bonus when I taste it in the next bowl of whatever I smoke in that pipe. ;)

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Embrace the florality?! With Ennerdale, I get the sensation of eating a bowl of cherry-vanilla-almond or pistachio Ice cream in a field of dewy violets. One bowl won't permaghost a briar.. like @chasingembers said, latakia will chase it out. I do have dedicated inexpensive estate briars for Ennerdale, Grasmere, and 1792, though. I paid between 8 and 12 dollars for them so they were really cheaper than cobs of a comparable size. Had to clean 'em up though. I dig cobs, but really didn't like having to smoke out the hardwood shank portion that extends into the bowl.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Embrace the florality?! With Ennerdale, I get the sensation of eating a bowl of cherry-vanilla-almond or pistachio Ice cream in a field of dewy violets. One bowl won't permaghost a briar.. like @chasingembers said, latakia will chase it out. I do have dedicated inexpensive estate briars for Ennerdale, Grasmere, and 1792, though. I paid between 8 and 12 dollars for them so they were really cheaper than cobs of a comparable size. Had to clean 'em up though. I dig cobs, but really didn't like having to smoke out the hardwood shank portion that extends into the bowl.
Remove that shank portion and pipe mud that chamber. It will be the coolest smoking inexpensive pipe you can own.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I prefer to smoke Ennerdale in one of my Kirstens. Don’t have to dry it down as much, and I get more of the flavor.

I‘ve probably smoked it in a few briars, and while I generally like to dedicate certain blends to certain pipes, I don’t get all hung up on the ghosting thing.

I’ve got estate pipes that somebody probably smoked Middleton’s Cherry Blend in for 30 years. After cleaning them up I’ve never noticed the “ghost”, and they smoke just fine with whatever.

None of my pipes have come with a detailed technical manual, hence I’m at a loss for rigid smoking specifications...

I wonder if people back in the early part of the last century got as wrapped up in these intellectual discussions on pipesmanship...? Nah, they just smoked, enjoyed, and in some cases abused their pipes.

I just smoke whatever I feel like smoking and enjoy it...