PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Months ago, I posted a request for recommendations for "Representative Examples of Classic Styles," and still refer back to that thread when deciding what to try next. I appreciate all your recommendations and advise.
Lately, I read a novel partly set in the "Lakeland" area of England. At the same time, I began to notice mentions of "Lakeland" blends, here.
My understanding is that a Lakeland blend uses fairly strong tobacco and a fairly heavy floral and/or anise topping. Correct?
Honestly, that doesn't sound like something I'd like but, in my quest to try everything available, I want to give it a shot.
I believe that Condor is considered a Lakeland, but Condor is not readily available here. I think, though I could be wrong, that Erinmore is considered a Lakeland. So...
Please recommend some readily available Lakeland blends that I can add to my next order. Thanks!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
+1 Chris, both Samuel Gawith, and Gawith- Hoggarth have the most choices as far as lakeland blends. They run from the more mildly flavored like Grousemoor, to the heavy hitters like Glengarry flake, Brown Scented, and of course the dreaded Ennerdale flake. Ennerdale is one I actually like on occasion, it's just so weird, but interesting at the same time. There are a few others here that like it, and many that hate it. I probably smoke Glengarry most, followed by Grousemoor, Erinmore, and you might want to try Bob's Chocolate Flake for a mild one. You'll probably just have to order some samples and see what appeals to you, if any. Nice that quite a few are available in bulk, so the cost is not too bad.

One note of caution, you'll want to use a cheap cob to try these as they will ghost a pipe easily. If you like them, you can always dedicate a briar later.
Have fun and remember, try to limit your cursing. :mrgreen:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love some of Sam Gawiths unscented blends, but the true "Lakelands"...... Hell no!

Some people love them, which is cool, to each his own. But to my personal tastes, it what I would imagine that granny perfume, laced with vomit, lemon Lysol, and cat pee, must taste like.

A lot of people really like it though.

The same could be said by others about some of the blends I like. Some people absolutely loathe the taste of Va/Per's and Latakia, but I love those.
But to me at least, "Lakelands" are what evil must taste like.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Lakeland isn't always anise, and condor isn't a true lakeland I don't think. I would suggest starting with G&H best brown #2 which has a very slight topping, you kind of have to look for it almost, and then slowly increase the consumption of stronger scented blends. Don't try something like Dark Flake scented or Ennerdale at first, or you'll probably be turned off of them. I started with BB#2, found I enjoyed it, got some Bob's chocolate flake which had a stronger "soapy" taste which I now enjoy, Kendal Flake which is pretty much a citrus taste, now maybe one day I'll get around to trying the stronger scented blends as I enjoy the lighter scented blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think the GH Irish Black X rope has any floral, soap, or anise flavoring, unless I'm missing something.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Well, cool!
I was away from the computer for a few hours, and Booker PM'd me with an offer to send me a couple of samples. Thanks, Booker!
ericusrex - Thank you, too! I'm gonna try what Booker sends, and, if I like it, I've already added Ennerdale to my P&C wishlist.
You guys are great!

P

pipebuddy

Erinmore is not Lakeland, but, at least originally, Irish.
And no, Black Irish Twist is not cased. It's all storng, pungent, DFK at its best.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Speaking of Booker...I have been away from the board for a while and saw something referencing him not being on the board anymore? Is he okay?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd HIGHLY recommend trying them in a brand new corn cob that you wouldn't mind throwing away.
That "floral" flavoring haunts like a Wes Craven film, RIP Mr. Craven. Egon, Venkman, Ray, and Winston couldn't blast it away even if they used all their proton packs at the same time on the briar.
Personally I'm not a fan of Lakeland blends. I tried Ennerdale Flake and couldn't even make it halfway through the bowl. It was a suffocating soap flavor that kidnapped my taste buds for a few days.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
LOPR - I've decided that I rather like the Lakeland "soapy" taste. Maybe not daily, but it is a nice change.
It DOES like to leave a ghost, though, doesn't it? I've found myself getting hints of that taste even two or three bowls later. I still don't mind it, but it is a bit jarring to have that soapy taste suddenly come through when smoking some Old Dark Fired, or some-such.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I've been able to put a couple tins of grouse moor, then switch to St James flake no problem of ghosting. A good cleaning between the different blends help.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
Just about anything from Samuel Gawith or Gawith Hoggarth will be a Lakeland blend. And I haven't found one that wasn't good, yet. I am especially fond of Ennerdale, Best Brown Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, and my all-time favorite....Kendal Cream Flake.
All of the Lekeland blends have varying amounts of the 'Lakeland Essence" which I think is based on an herb called Tonquin. It's a little floral, a little herbal, lavender-ish taste and smell, sort of like clean sheets fresh out of the dryer. The smell reminds me a lot of a public laundromat. It is strangely alluring, for some reason.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
At my pipe club folks started asking.

So I brought Lakeland Snuff....some people (myself included) truly like the smell of old people perfume and tangy flowers.

Definitely don't use a briar - meer, cob, or by a cheap medico/yello-bole brylon

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Many years ago HOW had a blend named Bond Street. It was as close to a Lakeland blend that you could buy in the USA. I found an old pack several years ago and sent it to a member here to try. I never heard back from him so draw your own conclusions.
th

Status
Not open for further replies.