PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Alan, I had to stop listening to Rogan's Podcast, which is a shame, because I honestly think he gets too high and just starts saying too many dumb and contradictory statements. It's a real shame because I've learned so much about so many different people and personalities. And this isn't actually about pot. If he were drunk and interviewing people the results would be the same.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
elbert: Just an observation. You don't look all that old. You're are getting into a career which will change rapidly over the next few years. Therefore, you are positioned to be a lead in the changes coming. Study everything you can find about autonomous vehicles in long haul use, find your niche. They'll need guys with quick, agile minds for finding routes, times, to develop the machinery, instruments, etc. Test drivers and evaluators will be required. There will develop a whole sub-set of occupations in the industry. Be one of the quick and agile! All the luck in the world to you and yours!
Musk/Tesla, I believe, is now being left in the dust. He is to be thank for his foresight. He is to be pitied? for his implosion. He's hit the wall, disaffected his investors and, barring some sort of life-changing event, he will continue to self-destruct. Just an opinion based on recent observations and readings. He is still a media darling but, that can be a negative when it comes to investors.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How does the accident rate of autonomous vehicles compare to that of manned vehicles?
Elon Musk just gave a very interesting wide ranging interview with joe rogan. he asserts that autonomous cars will be significantly safer over time.
It may very well be that accident rates for autonomous vehicles will either be no worse, or possibly better than, those with human pilots...especially as the technology develops and people continue to devolve.
But somehow if I'm going to be maimed or killed in an auto accident (or a plane for that matter...would you get on a plane without a pilot?) I want it to be due to human error (either my own or someone else's) not because of a f*cking robot. But I’m funny that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...and thanks for the Bobby Burns. Great work; read a few and roll with the dialect. It's like Twain with Huck, not a different language, just the accent at hand.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
A "driverless" motor freight industry is predicted to happen by 2030...just 12 yrs away.
The other big shocker is babies born today will never actually drive a car due to GPS/driverless technology...just 16 yrs or less.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Autonomous vehicles will, at some point, be mandated. They will have to be, to reduce collisions.
There will be positives. Imagine sending your car out for beer, or groceries, or medicine when you are too sick to drive. No more drunk drivers. And for all of you who have ever had sex in a car, imagine doing it at 70 mph.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Just now seeing this. Hate the tension news for you, pipe brother, but hold you & your good attitude in high esteem. Wish there were some way I could help, but you sound like you've got a good handle & a good hustle, & things usually work out for folks with that foundation. Hang in, & keep the faith.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.