Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

H

Hfinn

I noticed that big stores don't sell Mastro de Paja pipes. As for me, their pipes look very nice. Does anyone know why online retailers like Smokingpipes, Alpascia or Danishpipeshop don't deal with them? They don't look like a small workshop; they must be making a lot of pipes. Are there those who have their pipes, how is the impression at all? Could it be a matter of quality?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wonder if smokingpipes carrying Savinelli prevents them from carrying Mastro de Paja. But, they also carry Brebbia. They also carry Rossi, which I can easily understand, since Savinelli makes those. I have no experience with Mastro de Paja pipes, but I have a cigar travel humidor they made for Nat Sherman. The seal isn't the best, so I do wonder if quality could be an issue.

Reactions: Hfinn and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I used to see Mastro de Paja at online retailers, though I can't remember which ones. I think it is difficult to launch and sustain brands, and I'm not sure they are still in business. Luciano made excellent pipes that sold pretty well for a while. It appears they have gone out of business, at least in pipes, though I still see their cigars for sale. I think cigars are a more dependable revenue stream. They seem to provide a better profit margin, the way they've edged out pipes at pipe and tobacco shops. I like both cigars and pipes, but for me, pipes win out for several reasons. As I've said before, cigars are like eating at a restaurant, with the chef making all the decisions and presenting a completely turned product, whereas pipes are more engaging, with lots of user input all the way, like cooking at home.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wonder if smokingpipes carrying Savinelli prevents them from carrying Mastro de Paja. But, they also carry Brebbia. They also carry Rossi, which I can easily understand, since Savinelli makes those. I have no experience with Mastro de Paja pipes, but I have a cigar travel humidor they made for Nat Sherman. The seal isn't the best, so I do wonder if quality could be an issue.
SPC used to carry them along with Don Carlos. Like Warren said, likely lack of demand.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I have a Mastro de Paja and can say it has become one of my favorites. I posted it here a while back looking for more information on the brand. There was some interesting interpretations of the marking on the pipe so I emailed Mastro de Paja with photos. The owner, Mr. Alberto Montini himself responded and answered all of my questions. To me, that was a surprise and an honor. The quality of my pipe, along with the personal response inspires respect from my perspective.

Reactions: Hfinn and Toast

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have several Mastros and they are all nicely made and smoke well. But on all of them the tenon was too long, which can make it difficult to remove. I've cut about a third off each one. Wonder If I'm the only one who noticed this. puffy

Reactions: Hfinn

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
I noticed that big stores don't sell Mastro de Paja pipes. As for me, their pipes look very nice. Does anyone know why online retailers like Smokingpipes, Alpascia or Danishpipeshop don't deal with them? They don't look like a small workshop; they must be making a lot of pipes. Are there those who have their pipes, how is the impression at all? Could it be a matter of quality?
Both MdP and Don Carlos do not have a distributor so their presence and availability is more limited.

MdP used to be distributed by XYZ Imports then acquired by Arango and then stopped distributing their pipes.

Don Carlos used to be distributed by David at R.D. Fields then stopped. Luca at NeatPipes then did distribution and then stopped.