PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't like labeling things. Call me lazy. But I do have a perfect logic to it. I don't like putting name on things just to call something by a name. Like, who decided dogs will be dogs? Or cats should be cats? I understand the convenience of it, so I let it be.

Labeling the jars on the other hand is somewhat necessary. After awhile, memory slips and you forget what's in what. I mean, all the wide mouth Ball mason jars look alike.

It wasn't a problem when I only had 8 jars, and smoked everyday. But after the move and not enjoying the winter weather any longer, I didn't smoke all that much and didn't keep track of my jars.

So, I decided to smoke a blend I haven't had in awhile. It smelled good. It's in broken flake, and fairly dry without being crispy. But no idea what the hell it is.

So the important life lesson is, don't label your jars! Surprise is a good thing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have to label all my jars as I could never remember what is what. I write on top of the small jars the name and date. My big jars I wrote on sticky notes and attached them. Since most of my bulks have not been touched for ten years it is a damn good thing I labeled them or I would have been screwed. After 10 years my Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginnia and St James flakes all look the same. The tobacco is pretty much black and impossible to distinguish what is what.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Not only would smoking tobacco out of an un-labeled jar be a pleasant surprise, it would give you the chance to feel like one of those wine connoisseurs they depict in the movies who can tell you which vintage of Petrus they're drinking. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My consciousness is free-floating enough without having to guess what tobacco I'm smoking, so I make a game of it, using my computer printer to make labels in various type faces, usually including the blend, brand, source and date purchased. If I want a surprise, I try mixing blends or adding condiments. If I'm in a hurry, sometimes the label is in ballpoint or sharpie, but the printed ones are more fun.